What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 15 pdr plus fuze - info please

Millsman

Premium Member
I'd appreciate if any forum member could tell me about this shell please? I know it is a British 15pdr, pre WW1 and probably made in Germany. The fuze is of a type I've never seen before and is dated 3/01.

The base of the shell is marked 15pdr CSE FS

Marks on the fuze are:-
R/I\ L BOC IV 842. Its timing ring is marked to 18 seconds. On the nut on the top is the letter C. I assume the RL may be Royal Laboratories.

Infomation on rarity would be useful.

Thanks - John

Attachments

• SSCN2549.JPG
    SSCN2549.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 122
  • SSCN2550.JPG
    SSCN2550.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 113
You are mostly correct about what you say John, but the shell was not German made, its a British shrapnel shell. The fuze is a number 56 time and percussion fuze Mark IV made by Elswick Ordnance Co (EOC). The FS is forged steel but not sure about the CSE. Not a particularly rare shell, but in nice condition.

Hope that helps.

BD

shell

Many thanks BD, that's very helpful. I assume these all disappeared when the 18Pdr came in. Were they used by the Navy at all?

John

i gues CSE stands for !!!

i gues the CSE marking stands for Cordite filling but i am not sure !!

best regards David

Hello

This fuze seems n56 ?

Attachments

• no56_mkIV.jpg
    no56_mkIV.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 64
15pr

Nice 15pr shrapnel shell, probably late type as front ejecting shrapnel not base eject. Colour don't think should be green? more likely grey. 2pr

Eoc

does anyone know when sir William Armstrong's Elswick Ordnance Comp;any closed? If it is the No. 54 then here is a close up of it.
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice 15pr shrapnel shell, probably late type as front ejecting shrapnel not base eject. Colour don't think should be green? more likely grey. 2pr

Do you think the shell matches the date on the fuze (1901), or is the shell later?

John

Eoc

I believe the date on which the EOC closed will answer that.
Regards,
John aka Bart

As I noted in my original post the fuze in John's shell is a no 56, not a no 54. The no 56 is an 18 second fuze and the no 54 is 30 seconds. See the picture below for comparison. The no 54 is on the right.

BD

Attachments

• 56-54.JPG
    56-54.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 70
Thaks Pascal, nice drawing. I've not come across this fuze before so the drawing is of interest. John

The base of the shell is marked 15pdr CSE FS

Hi John,

Is there a "Mk" stamping on the base on the RHS of the 15 Pr marking? (Like "15pr V"

Also is there a date stamp on the body? (under the green stuff?)

The construction at the top of the projectile where the nose section fits, looks like either a Mk IV or Mk V - most likely a Mk V if the 1901 No 56 fuse is "year matched" to it.

Yes the No 56 were either Mk IV or Mk V, but I have never seen a Mk V!!

Very nice indeed!!!

Thanks
cheers
Drew