What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 18 PDR Question

MikeS0000

Just picked up an unfired round, with fuze that I don't believ is correct. Will post pics tomorrow, but wondered about the shell itself. No markings on the body, but on the base is stamped "U72" and two circles with "X" inside of them. Any ideas on what that means?

Thanks!
- Mike

Finally got hold of the camera, which as you can see doesn't do parallax well. No markings on the fuze, only the 0 to 22 graduations. Body looks like it may have been plated at one time....?

Attachments

• 100_8995.JPG
    100_8995.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_9001.JPG
    100_9001.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_9005.JPG
    100_9005.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I don't know what the markings mean but the shell looks like a 18pr shrapnel shell with a number 80 fuze and adapter. Can you take the fuze out of the adapter? It will probably be marked underneath.
Cheers
Gary

I don't know what the markings mean but the shell looks like a 18pr shrapnel shell with a number 80 fuze and adapter. Can you take the fuze out of the adapter? It will probably be marked underneath.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary -

Yes, the fuze comes off easily. However, there are no markings present and it appears there never were.

Best!
- Mike