What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 34 grenade in section

SG500

Premium Member
The attached is a British number 34 in section.
I'm considering getting the hacksaw out on an empty inert relic, and making one, and was wondering, what colour would the explosive filling would have been?
Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
If it's the same as the "Oval Grenade" described in the 1917 book 'Hand Grenades - A Handbook On Rifle And Hand Grenades - Maj. G. M. Ainslie', then it says it was filled with ammonal. As such the explosive would look dull grey.

I was just about to suggest it might be ammonal :)
I think the picture from the above website is supposed to show an ammonium nitrate/aluminium powder mix, aka AMAL or ANAL (fnarr, fnarr). Ammonal is a mix of TNT, ammonium nitrate, aluminium powder and other stuff (commonly charcoal), which would also have a similar colouration and physcial appearance (aka as a mixed powder).

I still have to make my own cutaway model, so yours is very helpfull. Thanks for posting, great cutaway model.
Regards, DJH