What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 4 inch AP

Rafail

Premium Member
Found this today in a yard..

details say!

BH172
S2608
H1927

SEMI-A.P.
4in 35LB. IIIBN.T./N.F.A.
F.S.

H.LTD 13.7.39 20 17142

Any info would be apreciated as i ll begin restoration shortly!! IMG_5506.jpgIMG_5507.jpg

Nice find.
I think the hardest part will be the copper drive bands!!
Pobably cut off for scrap value?
I think this has been fired given the deformation of the drive band `grips` so you are lucky it is in such good condition.

Yes, nice find.
However the driving band grips are supposed to be wavy as it aids in spreading the rifling load when fired.

cheers
Bob

was it for Naval guns? also did it had a color or it was just polished metal?

As for the band i ll probably have to make a fake one or something..
Any recent photo would be appreciated!!

It would have been painted blacks with a red ring around the nose to show that it was loaded with a tracer. Also possibly a white ring.

Is there anyone who has documentation or drawings about the 4 inch British projectiles?
It seems there is not much around.

Proost (Dutch for cheers)

Chris

Think this must have been for the Royal Navy, as I think they were the only ones to use 4" guns by 1939. The Textbook of Ammunition 1936 indicates that SAP shells were painted yellow But I think that this had been changed to Middle Buff by 1939. It shows a drawing of a SAP shell with a thin white band just down from the tip, immediately below which is a red band. Around the middle of the shell is a light green band with TROTYL stencilled on in black.

In addition there would have been other info stencilled on the body, indicating the date it was filled, and the place/depot that did the filling, plus lot numbers, and various other info, including the letter N to indicate Naval use. From the groove below where the driving band was it looks like this was for fixed ammunition, so it would not have had the calibre stencilled on it.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
Roger.

The colouring depends whats in the shell, solid AP is black body with bands, if hollow and therefore would have an HE filling is Buff with bands. If your projectile has a small hole around 15mm dia in the base it is a solid with tracer, hole bigger at around 50mm then its HE, if bigger then the adaptor in the base has been removed. Some naval practice solid had an external tracer.

I ll get you better pics today, yesterday i had a few hours to remove the rust, and i found other small stamps around the body and underneath..

:)

would have had an HE filling and base fuze, I do note the ballistic cap is missing that would have crimped into the indents around the nose. If you can make a band I'm sure you can do a cap. The 1945 naval ammo. hand book has SAP illustrations but not the 4in. Lovely item, wish I could find one, it would soon be restored.

hmm... well at the moment, i cant make any of them... unfortunately don't have the knowledge nor the means... thus i am lookijng for as many info as i can find!!

Rafail, my comment it would soon be restored was not meant as a criticism in any way, I'm lucky I've had the training and got a lathe at home. Please have a look at the picture of my 4in rounds and 4.5in to the left. The solid practice ones black with only a yellow band both had the missing copper band replaced, it takes a while but is well worth the effort.4 in.jpg

Hi Raf,

I don't have the type of projectile in 4 inch calibre, but thought you might like to see one in 4.5 inch. The driving band on the 4 inch may be slightly different as there were different types but it might give you an idea of what it should look like.

Best

D

Attachments

• 4.5 in AP 2.jpg
    4.5 in AP 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.5 in AP.jpg
    4.5 in AP.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.5 in AP 1.jpg
    4.5 in AP 1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 18