What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British bakelite nose cones for 199/221/208

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
Help please! Does anyone know when the bakelite nose cones were introduced for British fuzes? Was it a specific date (if so when) or was it an ad hoc introduction. Why are both bakelite and aluminium fuze cones found with similar dates? Any suggestions would be appreciated. cheers, Dave

1942 !

Hi Dave the earliesy Bakelite top for a 199 Fuze i have seen was dated in January 1942. see picture

Attachments

• Bakelite top 199 42.JPG
    Bakelite top 199 42.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 49
Help please! Does anyone know when the bakelite nose cones were introduced for British fuzes? Was it a specific date (if so when) or was it an ad hoc introduction. Why are both bakelite and aluminium fuze cones found with similar dates? Any suggestions would be appreciated. cheers, Dave

Dave,

War Office List of Changes Paragraph B4636:

"FUZES, TIME AND PERCUSSION, NO. 221, MK. I ... L
Alternative material for cap.
With reference to B927, the fuze cap may be manufactured of moulded plastic material as an alternative to aluminium.

11th Sept, 1940
270/Fuzes/29"

Hope that helps.

British bakelite nose cones for 208

WOLC B5210 introduces the No 208 Mk I with a plastic moulded cap as a part of the original design DD(L)9300B. Date and file ref are 1st July 1940 270/Fuzes/24