What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British EP mines

horsa

Premium Member
The British had a short run of mines towards the end of WWII with "EP" in their designation. They are similar to earlier production WWII mines with the same Mark designation such as the Anti-Tank Mine E.P. Mark V.

I've got basic technical specifications on the mines but am lacking a reference to what EP actually stands for. Assume right now it is related to either the type of fuze mechanism, a different filling or an anti-handling feature.

Can anyone shed light on the EP aspect?

I believe that EP stands for "Egyptian Pattern". I have a manual about someplace but the mines were early WWII not late WWII. I will see if I can find the manual.

Hey Darryl,

One of the main tech spec sources I was using is the Feb '45 British Land Mines and Firing Devices publication. It covers the EP Mk II, Mk V and Mk VI. But on the GS side the last A/T mine is the Mk V. None of the items has dates adopted or dates made obsolete so I may have incorrectly assumed the EP were later. One reason was they are covered together after the GS patterns but the other reason was the last EP mark was one higher than the last GS mark.

We know the EP pattern are WWII since they are covered in a publication that printed before the end of the war. You probably are correct in EP being an early variation though as I double checked and they are all listed as either Obsolete or Obsolescent while the GS Mark V was still shown to be in service.

If you or anyone else could confirm Egyptian Pattern, it would be much appreciated.

how this:tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• ep1.jpg
    ep1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 102
  • ep2.jpg
    ep2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 103
  • ep3.jpg
    ep3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 115
  • ep4.jpg
    ep4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 109
Top marks for that one Darryl, I'd been trying to sort this one out on and off for a couple of days. Should have started here to begin with but always hate asking a question I should be able to figure out myself with a little research.

:fight:

no problem, happy to help. Nice when those old pieces of paper come in handy:tinysmile_grin_t:

With regard to models/marks of EP being later than GS, I believe that in wartime it is common to have a lot of different items in service at the same time that all have a similar purpose - just thinking about WW1 British grenades as an example eg No 5, No 23 and 36M were all a similar shape and size but were in service at the same time as a whole lot of other grenades.