What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British fuze no.80 VII

collector

Premium Member
Dear all,

Can anybody help me out if I can find a list somewhere in regards of manufacturing codes, which can be found on this Fuze?
Or has anybody got an idea where the above mentioned fuze was being manufactured? Only in th UK? or?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Robert

No. 80 VII markings

Hi, rather than try to list all the manufacturer's codes, it would be easier if you specified the markings on the fuze you have and a member will tell you the details of the maker/filler etc.

The No. 80 fuze was originally based on a German design and commenced around 1907 (I think). There are various derivatives and copies of this fuse made by many countries, however if it has the British nomenclature of "No. 80" stamped on it, then yes, it is of British manufacture.

Regards,

Graeme

Attachments

• No. 80 VII - RL 1917.jpg
    No. 80 VII - RL 1917.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 42
manufactured in Canada?

Dear Graeme,

Thank you for your answer.

I do have some pictures, not of good quality but they might help. Somebody assumes this one was made in Canada. But I am unable to find any reference.

Robert

Attachments

• P1020501.JPG
    P1020501.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 45
  • P1020500.JPG
    P1020500.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 47
Robert,

The fuze socket in your first photo may have been made in Canada as denoted by the C, but I cannot read the details on the fuze.

The socket is made as part of the projectile assembly (eg. on an 18 Pounder shrapnel projectile) and not by the maker of the fuze.

So a Canadian fuze socket does not mean the fuze is also Canadian.

Could you specify the markings on the fuze?

Regards,

Graeme

Dear Graeme,
Please see pictures which will hopefully clarify something...

Thank you for your help in advance and

Greetings,
Robert

Attachments

• P1020496.JPG
    P1020496.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1020498.JPG
    P1020498.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 48
Robert,

Not enough information on the fuze to determine manufacturer/filler and date. You may have to clean it up a bit more to specify all the data.

Regards,

Graeme

Dear Graeme,

Any tips or tricks where I could find this specific information on this fuze? Which part of this fuze should contain that information?

Thank you for all your help and patience..

Robert

Robert,

All the information is on the base of the fuze.

There should be more markings than you have specified, including a month and year, eg. 10/17.

The stampings could be very light and you may need to clean it up a little.

If MCO is the manufacturer, I have not heard of this one.
Perhaps another member could help out?

Regards,

Graeme

There is a manufacturer who used the abbreviation 'IMCO'.
Never heard of 'MCO'.

Cheers,
Andy