What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British made B1 Incendiary

NickW

A while ago I saw a thread about wartime copies of German B1 Incendiary bombs and finally found mine and wanted to post a photo, but cannot find the thread now - so apologies for starting a new one!

Anyway here it is - The body appears to be steel and the paint seems original and the fins appear to be well made welded and pressed steel copies of a heavier gauge than orginals in my collection. I have not opened it up as yet, but it apperas to have aluminium components inside. Finally the only markings I can see is the stamped inscription on the body "INERT CAR 422 EOD".

incendiary.jpg

Aye,nice example Nick. I also have a couple of these knocking around the collection room. Im certain they were made as training aids.

best

waff

Thanks Waff - I have been looking at a bit more closely and decided to see what was inside - The body is clearly marked EOD & INERT, so I felt it OK to do this. The screws were very difficult to remove! The body of the bomb is all one piece turned and welded steel - including the tail cone, with the fins welded directly on - quite unlike the original B1 - but very well made. Once the screws were removed, the end disc was easy to move and proved to be the base of a heavy gauge steel cup that extended into the body just past the drilled air holes. This was partly filled with a cast very soft plaster type substance containing what appeared to be gypsum - this had shrunk and was loose and breaking up and very messy, so was removed - Anyone any idea what the purpose of this internal structure was? Could there have been some means for it to emit smoke to make the training more realistic? I do have a couple of these if anyone is interested.

B1 Open.jpg

Hi Nick,

I would guess that the plaster type substance would be to represent the filling in both weight and looks?

cheers

waff

Hi Miguel

I believe they were manufactured as training aids for the Army and Civil Defence organisations during WWII.

Hmmm. Are these really wartime? Was the phrase 'EOD' used in wartime? I thought it was a post-war designation. And out of steel - a precious commodity in wartime. I have seen dummy IBs and SD2s but these are either made of old tins or wood. Several countries probably perservered with these IBs after the war as they were a proven design. I think these are British 1950s.

Maybe they were marked EOD at some later stage after the war to prove that they were inert? I still reckon they are wartime training aids.

best

waffy