What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British markings on German shell?

grapeshot

Hi,
This is a German 77mm case dated 1917, It also has stamped on it,

SOLD
M /|\ M

I have seen one other stamped like this which was on ebay some years ago and the saler did not know what the stamping were for, so can any one help please?

Grapeshot.

Attachments

• DSCF4151.jpg
    DSCF4151.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 84
I have seen a German 77 M96 NA

Mounted on a Marine pedistal mount and recyphered G V , I think it is in the War Museum now. I presume it was used on Merchant ships. So it is more then possible that some captured ammunition was re-issued as well. When the strike is over we can likely get an image of it.

Hi,

SOLD
M /|\ M

I have seen one other stamped like this which was on ebay some years ago and the saler did not know what the stamping were for, so can any one help please?

Grapeshot.

Presumably salvage sold by the Ministry of Munitions in about 1919. A considerable amount of material was sold at the end of the war. There is quite an interesting story about surplus Mills grenades which the MofM had and the War Office wanted but I'll leave it to Snufkin to tell if he is up for it.

Marks

Norman, i have seen cases that have a different mark on to show they have been released for sale,on british cases of ww1 vintage, but I cant remember what it was. Was there a more commonly used symbol/word or am i imagining it? Regards Tony.

Hi,

SOLD
M /|\ M

Grapeshot.
hello jim
sent you a pm.
interesting case and nice photo's thanks for sharing.
Captured ammunition is interesting as it has a diffrent tale to tell.

Norman, i have seen cases that have a different mark on to show they have been released for sale,on british cases of ww1 vintage, but I cant remember what it was. Was there a more commonly used symbol/word or am i imagining it? Regards Tony.

Hello Tony,

The marking are -><- or ->s<- they are called "Sale mark" or "sold out of service" there is also SALE over a crown over PERMIT, there is also a back to back R which is unsafe for use.
Jim

Hi Jim.

Thats great Jim,sorry i didnt ask you first. I think it was the R option i remember,it was on a ww1 2pdr case made by EOC. In a crate in the cupboard with the rest of my collection. Thanks for the info.:wink: