What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British markings on US 75mm and 76mm ammunition?

peregrinvs

I wasn't able to find this in old threads, so... did US manufactured but British used 75mm (M4 Sherman and Churchill) and 76mm (M10 Wolverine) ammunition have any specific British markings, or were they 'off the peg' US production?

I assume the British didn't make 75mm and 76mm ammunition?

Thanks,
Mark

Although an old question I thought to post a couple of pictures of what I think is a Canadian made case for the British tank guns. Although a standard 75x350 case the base markings are very different and reflect a combination of the USA M18 designator with the British style lot number and broad arrow. I do not have a reference for the CL manufacturer but with the /C believe it to have originated in Canada. Having come across a lot of 75mm M18 cases this is the first I have seen with this headstamp. The US WW1 manufactured case have a very different headstamp. Very glad to have your thoughts and correction on the manufacturer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 50
In my collection I do have British used 75x350 cases (manufactured "B" and "BBCo)"with CF markings + broad arrow, and I also have several CL/C made 75x350 cases. The M10 I only know as US and Canadian (CL/C).

The following American cases were manufactured in Canada -

Case, cartridge 57mm M 23
Case, cartridge 75mm M 18
Both the above manufactured by Canadian Motor Lamp Co. CL/C.
Filled at Cherrier, Pickering or in the USA.

Case, Cartridge 76mm M 26
Manufactured by Dominion Bridge Co., Toronto, DB/C. Filled in the USA

(There may be more)

[url]http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/91487-US-WWII-76mm-M62A1-Projectile-on-M26-Casing-(British-)[/URL]

[url]http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/73465-75mm-M18-cartridge[/URL]

Hoeksel,
BBCo is Bridgeport Brass Co., Bridgeport, Conn., USA. With respect to the case marked with a ‘B’ if the ‘B’ is within a diamond that is an alternative mark of Bridgeport Brass Co.

TimG