What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British No81 smoke grenade restoration

paul the grenade

Hi All.
I got this tatty No81 gren a while ago and finally got it restored. It was full of holes and the base section is a replacement tin can, but as its such a rare gren im not to bothered about it. after filling the holes and a bit of TLC its as good as new.
the top cylinder was filled with white phospherous and the bottom with a conventional slow burn smoke composition. Upon ignition the top would burst creating an instant smoke screen. this would also ignite the bottom can which would then give a steady smoke output for approx 45 seconds.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• IMAG1180_1.jpg
    IMAG1180_1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG1185_1.jpg
    IMAG1185_1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG1193_1.jpg
    IMAG1193_1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG1194_1.jpg
    IMAG1194_1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG1237.jpg
    IMAG1237.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG1355.jpg
    IMAG1355.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 66
Great job!! One question, did you have to put an insert inside the "can"? just wondering what holds the filler in?

Hi All.
I got this tatty No81 gren a while ago and finally got it restored. It was full of holes and the base section is a replacement tin can, but as its such a rare gren im not to bothered about it. after filling the holes and a bit of TLC its as good as new.
the top cylinder was filled with white phospherous and the bottom with a conventional slow burn smoke composition. Upon ignition the top would burst creating an instant smoke screen. this would also ignite the bottom can which would then give a steady smoke output for approx 45 seconds.
Cheers, Paul.

Hi Rocketeer. All i did was pack the can with tissue paper, apply the filler and when dry and sanded, i then removed the tissue paper.

The results are very satisfactory and much more displayable than before. Considering it is 70+ years old it hasn't done so bad!