What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British parachute flares

Longshaor

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've gotten involved with a British, Cold War period living history group and a question came up.

The question is when did British forces stop using spiggot-launched parachute flares? I know here in the States the US military got away from using them in the 1960s as the 40mm M79, XM148 and M203 grenade launchers came into service. The latest production date I've seen on such a flare is 1967, and I'm told dates that late are exceedingly rare as production had all but ceased by that time.

It would seem from what I've been able to gleam off the 'net that a 40mm grenade launcher did not come into widespread use until the intoduction of the L17A1 UGL within, IIRC, the last decade. Did the older type of flares hang on that long?

Thanks in advance!

The question is when did British forces stop using spiggot-launched parachute flares? I know here in the States the US military got away from using them in the 1960s as the 40mm M79, XM148 and M203 grenade launchers came into service. The latest production date I've seen on such a flare is 1967, and I'm told dates that late are exceedingly rare as production had all but ceased by that time.

!
As far as I am aware the British Army never had a Para Illum spigot launched grenade as an issue item. Work done in the 1940s came to halt in 1947 and trials of RARDE designs and Mecar variations that took place in the 1960s didn't add anything to the regular inventory. There may have been 'special' uses. The issue item was the hand held 'Schermully' 1.5-inch rocket para illum ( and the 2-inch and 51mm Mortar equivalents for those so equipped).

Last edited: