What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British pre-WW1 Fuzes

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured are 2 early British time&percussion fuzes. I believe the smaller made in 1898 by the Royal Laboratories to be a number 54 (time ring marked to 18 seconds), also shown is a picture of the component parts. The second larger fuze made in 1903 by Kings Norton I am less sure about, single time ring marked to 30 seconds. Very glad to have a steer on the correct nomenclature for the larger item.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 36
The larger one is Fuze, Time and Percussion Middle, No 54 Mk III /C/ and the smaller one is Fuze, Time and Percussion, No 56 Mk IV /C/ I believe (away from notes).

Very many thanks, I used the table on fuzes contained within Hogg&Thurston book on WW1 artillery. I will correct my copy with the information you have provided, they make no mention of a 54 running to 30 seconds.

Once again thanks for your help.

Very many thanks, I used the table on fuzes contained within Hogg&Thurston book on WW1 artillery. I will correct my copy with the information you have provided, they make no mention of a 54 running to 30 seconds.

Once again thanks for your help.

It was graduated 0 - 30 but I think it only ran for 18 sec. In fact the Mk III may have been a 16 seconds fuze. I will have a look in a Treatise of Ammunition to confirm.

Edit: The 1902 Treatise confirms the above.

Last edited: