What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

british wooden ammo boxes 303 , 250 rounds

scouse47

Hi all , i am in need of the measurements of theBritish wooden ammo boxes for the 303 , holding 250 rounds . a photo of the top would be a bonus . it is for a sratchbuild model in 1/24 scale cheers sandy

Hi Scouse47,
A 250 round box? The H9 holds 500 rounds but am not aware of a box holding 250 rounds. Can you give me more details?
Cheers
Hangarman

H51? (click for link)

Contained 300 carts in bandoliers, or 250 carts in stripless belt for Vickers.

16"long x 8 5/8"high x 4 1/2"wide.

Lid is painted plywood like sides with same stencilling.

Last edited:
Stupid me! Yes, the H51 does hold 250 rounds of belted .303 or 288 rounds in cartons or 300 rds in bandoliers. Its a bit of an anorak thing, but for what period are you re-creating the scratch built model ? That will dictate which stenciling detail you require, will try and photo the different types.
Cheers
Hangarman

Just to confuse things I have a H51 marked for containing 180 7.62 in bandoliers/chargers,bit odd that as 7.62 being shorter than .303":xd:

Tony

Just to confuse things I have a H51 marked for containing 180 7.62 in bandoliers/chargers,bit odd that as 7.62 being shorter than .303":xd:

Tony

Hi Tony,
The options I know of for 7.62 in the H51 are, 288rds in cartons (early issue), 300rds cartons(later issue), and 350 rds bandolier. I wonder if yours if a "Fraction" box? Any chance of a picture?
Cheers
Gary

Lovely box Tony, it has got me baffled! I wonder if they tried a different configuration of bandolier. How many rounds did a horse shoe charger hold?
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
dont know how it happened but my reply ended up in the blogs section,and I aint going to write that again! so see blog section mate, WTF is a blog?

mumble,mumble,mumb.............................................................

Tony

Hi Gary,
there is another thing about this box has me baffled namely the 'A rifle only' marking.
A theory put forward that it was ammo intended for rifles only as there was a problem with case separation in the modified Bren gun.
But for some reason this has not 'sat well' with me as surely being marked up as Rifles Only would have indicated rifle only use better.
Why the large letter A and rifle in singular?
Maybe ammo for a test rifle A? would make explain the small amount of ammo for a box this size?
If this is the case it would mean that there must be/was a box marked up 'B rifle only' and possibly C ect.

Sorry I do not know how many rounds the horse shoe charger holds(wish I had one to find out from

Hi Tony,
Thought it was easier to copy and past your message back into this thread, hope you dont mind!
I have read about A and B types, but i'm sure Tony E can explain better than i can. Have looked at the horse shoe charger (no, i don't have one either:tinysmile_cry_t:) and they hold 5 rounds but take up the space of 8 so a standard bandolier holding 50 rounds would only hold 30 if they were in horse shoe chargers the box would still contain 6 bandoliers but there would only be 30 rounds in each bandolier which would total 180 rounds, hey presto! Just need to find the right bandolier for the box now!!
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
not at all mate and thanks for doing it, just a bit shell shocked that I did a blog without even knowing what one is!:xd:.

The math certainly works out using the Horseshoe charger and I wonder if the 1 marked at the end of CHR on the box refers to this type of charger? was the horseshoe charger the Mk 1?
Think you have well and truly sorted this one Gary

Cheers
Tony