What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW1 18pdr HE Projectiles

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured are what I think are 2 British WW1 18pdr HE projectiles, probably an early model (painted as a HE) fitted with a number 103 fuse and a later slightly more streamlined version (painted black) fitted with a number 101 fuse. The fuse pockets are different in that the painted HE has only sufficient threads for a 103 fuse, the longer threaded 101 will not screw fully home. If anybody can add some detail to the exact models I would appreciate the education.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 78
Hi Vasco

I believe the painted one is in fact an 18pr HE shell, I've spent a lot of time recently researching
this shell as I'm trying to ID one that I've purchased. Some 18pr HE's did have a threaded recess (see Image)
can I ask is your 101 fuse a Mk II? I've tried a 101 Mk II in my shell but its to big i was going to try a No. 100 next.

QF_18_pdr_HE_Mk_II_Shell_Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
To counter any porosity or flaws in the forging at the area exposed to the extreme pressure upon firing.

Thanks Gents for your thoughts. I looked over the HE painted projectile very carefully and found some faint markings: 18 pdr QF, III, FS and P. To me this would indicate a Forged Steel Practice projectile, but what type of practice? With the short fuze thread it may be a practice Shrapnel, if they did not contain any contents, or did practice cover both types HE and Shrapnel? The only No 100 fuze I have has damaged threads but it would fit the depth required by this projectile. So for me the fuze pocket would accept a No80, 100 or 103 but not a 101.