What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW1 4in Mk4 cartridge case

Vasco Da Gama

I thought to post a couple of pictures of a British 4in Mk4 case that has been in my collection for a few years. There has been some discussion on the forum as to if this gun used a bag charge, I offer the photos in evidence of a separate loading round but with a brass case (somebody clever than I may be able to add a link to the discussion in projectiles). The case has the classic 3 cut-outs at the mouth for a closing cup. Measurements, mouth 110mm, length 495mm and rim 135mm. I was expecting this case to have a protruding adapter rather than a flat No1 Mk 2 primer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 88
Nice case. I have a few of them, in a seafound state. There were fond in a WW1 sub (as told, do not know if the subs had these guns) close to the Dutch northen coast islands. will look up the base stamps, and the primer. they have the same 3 cut-outs at the mouth, and the primer protector are still on them.

Many thanks, my understanding is that the Mk4 used separate loading ammunition and was used in surface ships. The gun had 2 variants the Mk12 and Mk22 that used fixed ammunition these were fitted to submarines. If your cases have the cut-outs I would suggest that they came from a surface vessel. The British 4in guns for me are a complex story and few publications list the Mk against the cartridge size!

Checked them today. Same markings as yours, accept for the year, all marked 1915. Including the cut-outs at the mouth. I know there were found in a brass container, but forgot how much cartridges fitted in the container.

Very nice case. Is this related to the 4in Coast Gun (with the protruding primer) at all?

Thanks Falcon, I am no expert is Navy weapons but my understanding is that 4in Mk5 guns were used in the Humber estuary as dual anti-shipping and anti- aircraft. The Mk5 was a different gun and used a cartridge case 102x730mm for the high-angle version. The case I have dated 1929 does not have a protruding primer/adapter.
The cases with this type of adapter include the 12pdr 8cwt, 12pdr 12cwt, 4.7in Mk4&5 and early 6in QF guns. These all started life in the Navy and did serve, except for the 12pdr 8cwt, as Coast Defence weapons. Happy to be corrected!

From Hogg WWI: MK3 gun coast defence QF SL case length 14.5ins. Mk5 same but 27.75 ins case, Mk5 AA same gun but QF FA 28.8ins case. no mention of Mk4 so I assume its naval only SL case measured at 19.5in. No mention of WWII 4in guns so I assume they are naval only. Anyone add anything to the above please do.