What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browning 7.7mm Air Craft

Gaby78

Hi my friends,
I dont know if this gun is correctly in this section, I am sorry if I am wrong.
I would like to know if you can help me about this gun,I have some question, For example,
is it British?
Is it of the WWI?
How was it working?
what is the flash supressor?
what is the section booster?

Dibujo.jpg

Really thanks for your help!!!
Gaby!

-Yes, it is shurely WW2 Brittish.
- A booster section (red) is a small gas expansion chamber on the end of the barrel , in which -if the bullet passes through the forward flange (black arrow) of this chamber - builds up a gas pressure (yellow arrows) which gives the barrel (blue) an extra "kick backward" for cartridge case ejection. It also enshures the bolt spring is pushed backward far enough to pick up another fresh cartridge from the belt while reloading. This booster section has external thread and is screwed into the (outer) cooling barrel)
- A flash surpressor (or flash hider) "forms" the shape the burning gasses leaving the barrel into a longitudal flame , much like a flame from a blow torch in shape. It prevents the gunner -especially at night- from being blinded by bright muzzle flashes which would shine nearly straight into his eyes if no flash surpressor was used.

Attachments

• Dibujo.jpg
    Dibujo.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Brownings

Just to answer your other questions...

Yes, that is the British version of the Browning, the .303 aircraft gun. It is WW2 period as we did not adopt the Browning until the late 1930s.

Regards
TonyE

If your intrested in Browning MGs, might I sugest these sites. I know they mostly feature the .30 cal US guns but they all operate similarly.
There is one important difference: the RAF Brownings fired from an open bolt (with the chamber empty) instead of a closed bolt (starting with a cartridge in the chamber). This is because it was found that the cordite-loaded .303 rounds would explode if left in a very hot chamber (after a long burst of fire), wrecking the gun.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website

-Yes, it is shurely WW2 Brittish.
- A booster section (red) is a small gas expansion chamber on the end of the barrel , in which -if the bullet passes through the forward flange (black arrow) of this chamber - builds up a gas pressure (yellow arrows) which gives the barrel (blue) an extra "kick backward" for cartridge case ejection. It also enshures the bolt spring is pushed backward far enough to pick up another fresh cartridge from the belt while reloading. This booster section has external thread and is screwed into the (outer) cooling barrel)
- A flash surpressor (or flash hider) "forms" the shape the burning gasses leaving the barrel into a longitudal flame , much like a flame from a blow torch in shape. It prevents the gunner -especially at night- from being blinded by bright muzzle flashes which would shine nearly straight into his eyes if no flash surpressor was used.

I was very busy in the last days, I can not have seen the responses.
Really I am grateful for your response, the drawing awesome!!
Really I am very grateful.

There is one important difference: the RAF Brownings fired from an open bolt (with the chamber empty) instead of a closed bolt (starting with a cartridge in the chamber). This is because it was found that the cordite-loaded .303 rounds would explode if left in a very hot chamber (after a long burst of fire), wrecking the gun.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website

Thanks boys!!!you are very kind!!