What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BTR-80 AA equipped

sksvlad

These are probably 30mm shells flying around. Do they hurt when they come down on your head?
1709651174364.png

This is the 23mm ZU-23 anti aircraft canon, mountet on an BTR-80. The AP-rounds come down in one piece...:oops:

Attachments

• 39290318.png
    39290318.png
    2 MB · Views: 14
As stated above....

Firstly this is a 23 mm (23×152B) calibre SPAAG (self-propelled anti-aircraft gun), not a 30 mm.

The SPAAG's gun system is based on the ZU-23 (ЗУ-23) twin anti-aircraft gun system, also known as the 2A13 (2А13), which is itself comprised of two 2A14 (2А14) or 2A14M (2А14М) 23 mm auto-cannons.

The SPAAG vehicle itself is based on an MT-LB (МТ-ЛБ) tacked chassis. The BTR-80 (БТР-80) is a 8×8 wheeled armoured personnel carrier (APC), so a very different beast.

Another image of the ZU-23/MT-LB-SPAAG system is below. Also attached is what a BTR-80 might look like with the ZU-23 on it, though the image is off a BTR-70 (БТР-70) as far as I can tell?

Attachments

• 32302027844_eabd04aecb_o.jpg
    32302027844_eabd04aecb_o.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 10
  • xll2asvb77t71.jpg
    xll2asvb77t71.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
" Do they hurt when they come down on your head?"

Vlad, Vlad, Vlad, why do you think they're wearing helmets?

Sorry, I thought that helmets were just in vogue in Ukraine. So this thing is shooting most likely at a helicopter?

The empties tend to come out of the guns in a certain direction. If you know which way, you can stand in a different location.

The empties tend to come out of the guns in a certain direction. If you know which way, you can stand in a different location.
I don't advise standing to the side, rear, or very close to a 2K22 Tunguska series self-propelled anti-aircraft gun and missile system (SPAAGM). Do a video search for "2K22 Tunguska" and watch those cases and flames spew out!

The 2A38 series Gast-principle guns fire so quickly that there's a lot of still burning high-pressure gas released from the breech area. Plus those cases are really flung out at high speed.

Then you've got the potential launch of its surface-to-air missiles (SAM) to contend with too!

Last edited:
Plus the added danger of enemy drones.
Oh yeah those little blighters too! You don't want to be close to them when they go off. At least for the Tunguska its ammo (like most cannon ammo) isn't prone to on-mass explosions. However if it's missiles are hit, well that results in a rather different and more violent event.

The Tunguska also has an exit port (exhaust) for a gas turbine power unit near at the rear too, which I don't advise sanding to close to when it's running. The port is covered by a hinged door when not in use, which is highlighted in the first image below. There's another more dynamic image of the system firing after that.

Attachments

• 2560px-2K22_Tunguska,_SA-19_Grison,_Artillery_museum,_Saint-Petersburg_pic1.JPG
    2560px-2K22_Tunguska,_SA-19_Grison,_Artillery_museum,_Saint-Petersburg_pic1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 17
I took your advice and watched some of the videos on the Tunguska, and all of them said it had 30mm guns because the 23mm ones weren't powerful enough to down an A10.

I took your advice and watched some of the videos on the Tunguska, and all of them said it had 30mm guns because the 23mm ones weren't powerful enough to down an A10.
Hopefully you found a few of interest? I got to see one at bit more intimately, it was quite impressive. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of its guns, let alone its missiles.

I was always a bit surprised they didn't use an API, or APHEI round in the belt mix too, not just HEI and HEI-T that is normally used? I mean they had the BR-30-GSh (БР-30-ГШ) APHE 30×165 aircraft-loading round?