What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bullets,etc

Ringo

with thanks to your previous identifications

I have credited you in this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_m51FPzztM"]YouTube- The history of Chigwell and Chigwell Row via metal detecting finds on footpaths: militaria[/ame]

Would be grateful if you would helpme with 3 more

The first is an old lead bullet. It has 2 lines around it towards the bottom:

003.jpg

The second is a rather larger bullet shell:

001-1.jpg

The third is a brass thingy with a screw in at one end and a piece of wood? in the other end:

005.jpg

007.jpg

Thanks again

Finds

The first item is the bullet from a .577/450 Martini Henry round, probably a Mark III. This was in British service in the 1870-1880 period although it remained longer with the volunteers. Picture of complete round attached.(and I know for the purists it is a Contract E and not a true Mark III)

The second is probably a .50 Browning (or possibly a .5 Vickers) by the look of it. There appear to be indents around the cap that makes me lean towards a Browning. If you could read the headstamp on the base of the round it would tell us which.

I have no idea on the last one I am afraid!

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• ContractE.jpg
    ContractE.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
Fa 48

Definitely a .50 Browning made at Frankford Arsenal in the US in 1948. (the "4B" is actually the date, "48")

The .50 Browning was and is used extensively throughout the western world. It armed most US aircraft and vehicles during WW2 and was also used by us in both.

I am slightly surprised that it is a post war dated case, as most finds are wartime dated, but it could have come from the Korean war period.

Regards
TonyE

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...press.com/2009/02/ord_m2_mounted_lance_lg.jpg

thanks,Tony. I found it with the little metalpieces still inside which was also strange.Anybody any idea what the third picture if of, please?

Third pic looks identical to the brass bit on the end of my cleaning rod!

Attachments

• crod.jpg
    crod.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 19
43 or 48

Good thinking. It probably is "43" and I should have thought of that.

Regards
TonyE