What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burney - again!

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I am writing an article on Burney and the Broadway Trust Company for the IAA Journal, and whilst it will concentrate on his small calibre developments, I need to give the background on the bigger stuff. This being outside my normal comfort zone, can anyone tell me if the 3.45 inch RCL was ever issued or did it only reach trial status. Also, apart from the principle involved, is there any direct link between the 3.45 and the later Wombat etc.

Regards
TonyE

Ordnance, RCL, 3.45-inch, Mark 1

Tony,

It is no indication of reality of course but the equipment was 'Introduced' into Land Service by CIA/G/5610 dated 11th Jan 1946 on WOLC C2521.

Ordnance, RCL 3.45-inch Marks 1 and 2

Tony,

It is no indication of reality of course but the equipment was 'Introduced' into Land Service by CIA/G/5610 dated 11th Jan 1946 on WOLC C2521.

To satisfy your pendantism :) Mark 2 was introduced and then both Marks made obsolete in WOLC C3541 (printed Sept 1948). You know how difficult it is to nail down the exact date when lots of file references are shown. Looking at those that are Inspector Armaments and Guns (IA/G) and are dated after 11th Jan 1946 leaves a range for obsoletion between 20th Sep 1946 and 2nd Dec 1947.

So in answer to your original question that does not leave much formal time for the equipment being in-Service. Even with issues to units before the 'introduction' date (not unusual) there was hardly time for the paint to dry before it was made obsolete (a quicker acting process). Since I have not found WOLCs for the ammunition yet it may point to 'trials status' only.

Incidently the 3.7-inch RCL demised at the same time. Not sure about the 4.5-inch version, if there actually was one.

Tony,

That file reference I gave you may throw some more light on the matter. There are also some Broadway Trust drawings contained therein. It is a rather large file and I didn't get a chance to read it.

Regards

TimG