What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly Bomb Restoration

skull181

Here is my "Butterfly Bomb" for restoration.

The last two pictures shows how much work is needed.

The first two pictures show the parts cleaned and repainted.

A new "Body", again repainted with the spindle arm, type 41 fuze and Gaine.

I couldn't do it, but BOCN'S SG500 Dave Birkin has done it for me.

Cheers Dave!:cheers:

More pictures soon.

Attachments

• Butterfly Bomb 006 (640x480).jpg
    Butterfly Bomb 006 (640x480).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Butterfly Bomb 005 (640x480).jpg
    Butterfly Bomb 005 (640x480).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Option 2 whole (640x480).jpg
    Option 2 whole (640x480).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Finished SD2  - 6 (640x480).jpg
    Finished SD2 - 6 (640x480).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 68
Some more pictures of how much work was needed.

First Picture shows the spindle arm attached the 41 fuze.

Third picture shows the wings dis-assembled.

Second picture shows them cleaned, treated and painted.

Pictures Four and Five show the damage and repairs.

Attachments

• 7%20Parts%201.jpg
    7%20Parts%201.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Option 2 whole (640x480).jpg
    Option 2 whole (640x480).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 3%20Broken%20Hinges%201.jpg
    3%20Broken%20Hinges%201.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 4%20filled%20hinges.jpg
    4%20filled%20hinges.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Finished SD2  - 7 (640x480).jpg
    Finished SD2 - 7 (640x480).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 48
100% rust, that will eventually eat away the metal. Most of the paint was coming off on it's own with bits of rusty metal.

I wanted to keep as much Original paint as possible, but, there was no way it could be treated with out paint loss. :argh:

60% original paint vs. 100% repaint on the wings... :hmmmm:
Don't worry I know what you're thinking, it was a case of a relic set of wings that couldn't be moved at all due to the hinge line being completely rotten and stressed where the wings had impacted on opening or doing a total overhall and making the wings work. We're back to the same old problem of restore or leave and there is no single answer that keeps everyone happy.
Dave.

Don't worry I know what you're thinking, it was a case of a relic set of wings that couldn't be moved at all due to the hinge line being completely rotten and stressed where the wings had impacted on opening or doing a total overhall and making the wings work. We're back to the same old problem of restore or leave and there is no single answer that keeps everyone happy.
Dave.

I'm happy and that's all that matters. :party:

Restoration Complete

Finally finished, all parts were cleaned, treated put back together again.

Some parts where stuck together with rust and had to be replaced (springs).

Superb craftmanship from Dave SG500.

Look how the yellow colour blends in with natural greenery of the garden.

To think this is what it would have looked like over seventy years ago,
Hanging from a tree, landing in hedges, fields and gardens.

Attachments

• Finished SD2  - 4 (640x480) (480x640).jpg
    Finished SD2 - 4 (640x480) (480x640).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Finished SD2  - 3 (640x480).jpg
    Finished SD2 - 3 (640x480).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Bbomb 004 (640x480).jpg
    Bbomb 004 (640x480).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Bbomb 003 (640x480).jpg
    Bbomb 003 (640x480).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 40
  • Bbomb 002 (640x480).jpg
    Bbomb 002 (640x480).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Bbomb 001 (640x480).jpg
    Bbomb 001 (640x480).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 37
Thanks, I love the photos of it in the undergrowth. Will have to try the same.

Dave.

Thanks, I love the photos of it in the undergrowth. Will have to try the same.

Dave.

I took it into work and put it in a tree, and asked people to have a look and see what was in the tree...???

Most people couldn't see it, the bright yellow paint easily blended in with the different shades of greens on the leaves.

I'm still buzzing over it.

very effective photos , that yellow paint only looks conspicuous when viewed out of context!

Its very interesting to note the comment about 'blending in' to the background.

In fact the bright yellow paint finish was introduced to make the SD2 stand out more!! Let me explain a little more....

It soon became apparant that when the SD2's were dropped into areas into which the German troops were advancing that these weapons became a 'double edged sword'. That is to say that unexploded SD2's became as much as a problem to the German troops as to the enemy they were intended for. Before the introduction of the type 67 and 70 fuzes the only fuze used was the type 41, as in all types of munitions a number of them failed to go off as intended, one example is when the fuze was set for impact and the unit fell onto soft ground where the impact wasnt great enough to fire the fuze. These units, now fully armed and only prevented from firing by a spring loaded detent became very hazardous, in fact, they became anti-disturbance fuzes (in such cases the fuzes were extremly sensitive and a number of deaths occured in the UK in 1940 and 1941 due to malfunctioned type 41 fuzes). Add to this the field-grey paint and you have in effect an unmarked minefield!!!

Thus the SD2's were painted bright yellow......this then allowed easy recognition of unexploded units, not for the enemy but for the advancing German troops!!! After all the units armed with the 41 fuze which hadnt exploded either in the air or on the ground, had not funtioned as intended, which was as a cluster weapon not a mine. ( In May 1941 the Germans issued a booklet - D (Luft) 4002 - this focused on how to deal with blind SD2's)

There is a lot of information around which is misleading surrounding the colour of the SD2's........I have read a lot of articles which say they were coloured yellow for dropping in the desert or cornfields. I have read that the yellow and red stripes on the wings or bright colours were deliberately painted to attract young children and the unwary. None of this is true, I believe much of it was propaganda at time of war or people jumping to the wrong conclusion, after all why paint something 'BRIGHT YELLOW' ??

I hope this helps explain a little better the colour on SD2's

Of course if these weapons were being used in areas into which the Germans were not advancing then the field-grey colour could still be used with great effect - the UK and Malta being two good examples..... and yes, to add a little more confusion bright yellow units were also dropped on the UK, though this may be more down to what was available at the time than choice.

and just to add as a footnote, this is as I understand it, and by no means conclusive.....I have found that to be the case in any form of re-search, just when you think you are 'getting there' something else turns up!!!!!

kind regards Kev

Thanks Butterfly,
Imagine the confusion if a mix of yellow and grey were dropped together and people were only watching out for the yellow ones!.

As an aside ,bright colours can be surprisingly concealed in shaded or high contrast areas....try spotting sulfur crested cockatoos (with bright white plummage) in the foliage of trees,they blend in very well!

Cheers
Bob