What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly colours

SG500

Premium Member
This is one that's just had the magic Hammerite rust removal dip.
The green paint looks original
BUT
there's red paint under the green paint.
Was the red some sort of undercoat or could it have been repainted in the War?
What would the red paint scheme mean?
I'm sure I've seen a thread about the different colours from about a year ago but can't find it.
Any information on this would be appreciated.
Dave.

Attachments

• Butterfly colours 001.jpg
    Butterfly colours 001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Butterfly colours 002.jpg
    Butterfly colours 002.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Butterfly colours 003.jpg
    Butterfly colours 003.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Butterfly colours 004.jpg
    Butterfly colours 004.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Butterfly colours 005.jpg
    Butterfly colours 005.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 25
This is one that's just had the magic Hammerite rust removal dip.
The green paint looks original
BUT
there's red paint under the green paint.
Was the red some sort of undercoat or could it have been repainted in the War?
What would the red paint scheme mean?
I'm sure I've seen a thread about the different colours from about a year ago but can't find it.
Any information on this would be appreciated.
Dave.

Hi Dave,
Pretty sure that the red paint you refer to is actually a primer coat. I have seen this on the wings where the original green paint has been scratched off, underneath is a red coloured paint, so I presume it to be base paint/primer. Not sure if this was always the case on all colours but definately the green.
I have no doubt that both coats of paint are original and that it has not been repainted.

Some bomb bodies however were painted a dull red as a top coat, as were some of the wings and I have seen this referred to as for training purposes. On the other hand I have also seen it written in HMSO publications of the period that bombs could be found coloured red (in which case they were definately not for training!!)

Hope this helps
Kev

Well done Dave it looks good and stil some paint left nice, the Red looks like undercoat.

my bomb body is mainly red with a very light cover of green, so light infact that it looks more red than green, and the bomb body is 100% original to the rest as was found together (as per my photos and write up).
My Body the green paint is thicker on the ends.