What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly postman.

SG500

Premium Member
Felt sorry for the postman today...........will post more photos over the next few days when I get around to sorting it all out!

Dave.

Attachments

• Post 23 Dec 09 006.jpg
    Post 23 Dec 09 006.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 109
Dave,

Looks like you have enough good parts so Santa can make up a nice SD2 for your son for Christmas. Lucky guy!. Once he opens it up, tell him that some of us are already jealous and wish we had one.

Merry Christmas,

John

Fine lot of stuff Dave, good winter project for you. Envious as that stuff is hard to find and very desireable. Good find...Dano

Dave,

Looks like you have enough good parts so Santa can make up a nice SD2 for your son for Christmas. Lucky guy!. Once he opens it up, tell him that some of us are already jealous and wish we had one.

Merry Christmas,

John

Thanks John, yes there's 2 complete ones here with loads of original paint so I'll be doing some more sympathetic cleaning.:tinysmile_shy_t: Merry Christmas to you too.
Dave.

Fine lot of stuff Dave, good winter project for you. Envious as that stuff is hard to find and very desireable. Good find...Dano

Thanks Dano, yes it is hard to find but luckily I have some good people looking out for stuff for me, finding the 70 fuze is proving difficult.........I've got a good feeling about that though.
Dave.

good luck in the hunt... i fluked my 70. nice lot of stuff there Santa has sent you! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Dave,

I came across a great vintage video on the SD2.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsnfK-MeCE&NR=1"]YouTube- The Butterfly Bomb[/ame]

Maybe show it to your son, so he can take his SD2 to school for show-and-tell!

Dave,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsnfK-MeCE&NR=1

Bad idea! If some busybody do gooder sees it, the whole school will be evacuated and cordoned off. The butterfly will probably blown up by EOD in a nearby field. Dave would also most likely be taken to the local police station. Ridiculous situation, but it can and has happened in "Great" Britain.

I understand completely. I was being facetous. It is so rediculous in schools here now, since the school shootings, that kids can be suspended from school for drawing a picture of a knife.

Dave,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsnfK-MeCE&NR=1

Thanks John yes I'd seen the film before, an excellent bit of footage.
As Falcon says a bad ides to take it to school, even though its fully inert they just wouldn't understand. When my Dad was at school just after the war they used to take live ammo to school, when I was in school we used to take knifes to school, now they take mobile phones to school, must be progress??
Dave.

A few photos of the 2 bomb bodies, the one has some excellent stamping on it. The grey one appears to be painted over yellow. Anyone got any good hints on how to get rid of the grey but keep the yellow?
Dave.

Attachments

• 24 Dec butterfly photos 001.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 001.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 19
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 002.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 002.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 25
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 003.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 003.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 004.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 004.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 22
The arming wires - one real the other is I believe reproduction. If anyone has a spare real one then I'd be interested in hearing from them.
Dave.

Attachments

• 24 Dec butterfly photos 005.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 005.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 17
Fuzes

Some of the fuzes.

Attachments

• 24 Dec butterfly photos 013.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 013.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 014.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 014.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 22
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 015.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 015.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 22
First set of wings

Sorry to bore you guys, I like these things so tend to take lots of photos............anyway, these are the first set of wings, springs good, main wings a bit bent.

Attachments

• 24 Dec butterfly photos 006.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 006.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 007.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 007.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 22
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 008.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 008.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 20
Second set of wings

These ones are interesting, quite a bit of decent original paint plus nice stamping on one of the end wings. Missing a spring.

Attachments

• 24 Dec butterfly photos 009.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 009.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 010.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 010.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 011.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 011.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 24 Dec butterfly photos 012.jpg
    24 Dec butterfly photos 012.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
Sorry to bore you guys, I like these things so tend to take lots of photos............anyway, these are the first set of wings, springs good, main wings a bit bent.

Don't apologise Dave, I like them too!!!
Nice..........VERY NICE!!!!!!
I bet you were jumping up and down as much as my daughter will be in the morning when she finds out Santas been!!

Would appear Santa arrived a day early in Wales disguised as a postman. HO HO HO!!

Merry Christmas to you all
Kev