What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly

F

Fuzeman

Hi i thought i would share with you pictures of my butterfly collection

Attachments

• Butterflys 001.jpg
    Butterflys 001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Butterflys 002.jpg
    Butterflys 002.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Butterfly bomb 001.jpg
    Butterfly bomb 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Butterflys pt2.jpg
    Butterflys pt2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Butterflys pt2 scamore.jpg
    Butterflys pt2 scamore.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
nice collection steve ,whats the story behind the different wings on the butterfly bombs ive seen a few varients ,

Hi Alan
There were two official versions of the SD2 butterfly bomb , the more normal 4 piece wings and the triangular wings the difference being the triagular wings used a type (41)a fuze which was a bayonet fitting held in with 2 clips this is known as the SD2 B
The screw in fuze type (41) is the SD2 A bomb
There is a third version with very small wings (drouges) which were trialled later on in the war to drop onto attacking bombers , trials seemed to suggest that the drouges were too small to arm the fuzes
For the eagle eyed amongst you the SD2B drouges are on the wrong fuze (its an old picture ) thats my excuse!

Oh Aye!,Thats the ticket!

I would like that version in pic 3 if i ever see one?
The one you mention about `trial` wings,are they the version i have already?
There is a picture somewhere on the forum!,if not i can send a close up shot.

best
waff

Hi Paul
Ive seen a picture somewhere on BOCN , cant remember it may have been one i submitted if not will do one now

Hi Alan
There were two official versions of the SD2 butterfly bomb , the more normal 4 piece wings and the triangular wings the difference being the triagular wings used a type (41)a fuze which was a bayonet fitting held in with 2 clips this is known as the SD2 B
The screw in fuze type (41) is the SD2 A bomb
There is a third version with very small wings (drouges) which were trialled later on in the war to drop onto attacking bombers , trials seemed to suggest that the drouges were too small to arm the fuzes
For the eagle eyed amongst you the SD2B drouges are on the wrong fuze (its an old picture ) thats my excuse!

Thank you for the understandable explanation steve

Hi Paul
Looking at them they dont seem to be normal drouges can you photograph them from above please!

Hi john
That nice round bomb is the Chinese made copy of a British High explosive hand projected , super sensitive , MN 1500 filled bomb circa 2007 patent No ebay13000000005677856/5A sub secttion 3 para 4
Its main use is for anti tantrum use i find if kids are naughty or miss behaved , throwing one of these at them , tends to calm them down

Attachments

• super sensative 001.jpg
    super sensative 001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 15
  • super sensative 002.jpg
    super sensative 002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi Paul
Looking at them they dont seem to be normal drouges can you photograph them from above please!

Hi Steve,
Here is a few close ups of the wings as requested.:tinysmile_grin_t:

best

waff

Attachments

• S7003419.jpg
    S7003419.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 40
  • S7003410.jpg
    S7003410.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 28
  • S7003411.jpg
    S7003411.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 27
  • S7003413.jpg
    S7003413.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 23
  • S7003414.jpg
    S7003414.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 28
Hi Paul
Thanks for the pictures of those drouges the length is much longer than normal , which if correct would not be able to close up like the normal SD2 bomb . it certinly looks german, will have to investigate further.
thanks

Good question!

I just legged it up to the room and checked.
They wings when folded perfectly match alongside the body without protruding.

How would these and the other weird looking wings in our collections be held before release from the container?
I know the standard wings had a small clip.

best

waff

Hi Paul
Its the angle that makes it look longer ? these were folded down , without a clip , the fuze can,t arm without rotating the centre spindle of the fuze , so they were safe to handle and pack , the normal ones the two end pieces were folded first and the sides , closed afterwoods to stop them springing up there was a small clip , to stop them opening
regards

Thanks Steve,
I bet it was quite a pain for the armourers,as it must have took ages to fill the containers!

cheers

waff