What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying ordnance from Belgian sellers...pitfalls?

starshell

Premium Member
Good afternoon,

I have discovered a very nice first war projectile being sold by a chap in West Flanders, Belgium, but like most stuff in France & Belgium, he's reluctant to sell to UK collectors due to customs issues, etc, which is a bummer because this example is better than what I have....
Can anyone suggest any possible alternatives (ie: Go over and collect it, etc??)

Just putting the feelers out.
Many thanks!

Well, that's not only to British collectors, but also with any collector around europe asking to have a parcel with inert stuff being send out from Belgium. I could not even get a Belgian collector I know quite well to send me a fired 37mm shellcase; he reacted quite panicked and told me that Belgian police and EOD services confiscate and destroy first and ask questions later. Belgium does not have regulating laws concerning private persons owing inert large calibre ammo, so it's a very grey area, collecting live small arms MILITARY ammo with a licence seems to be even more difficult as I understood.
As I also understood the Belgian EOD (DOVO) seems to be not too fond of private collectors on Belgian soil, but I may be wrongly informed.... maybe one of the Belgian members can tell us more