What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C3A1 Elsie Mine

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a C3A1 ‘Elsie’ mine. This peculiar mine is the only dug in anti-personel mine in the world using a shaped charge. The Elsie mine was designed by the Canadian army and produced by Canada. The mine was also used by the US army as the M25 and by Japan as the ‘Type 67’. The Elsie mine was manufactured in the colours olive green and sand yellow. On top of the mine body and the explosive charge a layer of felt is glued to camouflage the mine. The top of the explosive charge is not roud , but has an irregular shape to make it less obvious.
The Elsie mine is manually placed.
The C3 in the designation of the mine means the mine is non metallic.

The mine body is conical shaped, the explosive container with the shaped charge is placed in top of the mine body. This explosive container roughly has the size of the cork of a wine bottle. The pointed lower part of the mine body is screwed over the base of the upper mine body. The lower mine body houses the firing pin spring. The firing pin is placed on top of the -tensioned- firing pin spring. The firig pin has two opposite machined recesses in which a steel ball each is partially placed. The firing pin housing consisting of a ring with two recesses is placed around the firing pin, housing the rest of the two steel balls. The steel balls are kept in inward position by the hole in the upper mine body that is slightly bigger than the ring around the firing pin. The detonator housing is placed on top of the firing pin housing, kept in the lower position by a recess in the upper mine body. This allows for the explosive charge container to be removed, the mine body to be pushed in to the ground, and the explosives container to be replaced.
The Elsie mine is fully plastic made, the only non plastic parts are the firing pin spring, the two steel balls and the needle of the firing pin.
A removable aluminium ring is placed around the top of the upper body, allowing the mine to be either detectable or not.

If the mine is stepped upon the shaped charge container is pushed downward, pushing the detonator housing, the firing pin housing and the firing pin wih the steel balls downward, up till the moment that the two steel balls reach the wider part in the lower mine body, allowing them to move outward, releasing the spring loaded firing pin to move upward into the detonator (red). The exploding detonator will ignite the shaped charge.

The shaped charge points the force of the explosion upwards. If one steps on the mine with the front of the foot, a hole will be shot through the foot. If stepped upon with the heel, the entire length of the lower leg will be pierced.
The plastic lined shaped charge is able to penetrate a 9mm thick steel plate, in spite of not having a copper cone.
The Elsie mine is designed primarily to disable a person, rather than kill them.
The Elsie mine is fully plastic made, the only non plastic parts are the firing pin spring, the two steel balls and the needle of the firing pin.

Diameter : 51 mm
Length : 85 mm
Weight : 80 grams
Explosive charge C3A1 : 9 grams Tetryl
Explosive charge C3A2 : 9,45 grams Compositie A5 -(98.5% RDX mixed with 1.5% stearic acid)
Operating pressure : between 7,25 and 11,8 kg

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - C3A1 Elsie AP mine.jpg
    01 - C3A1 Elsie AP mine.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 02 - C3A1 Elsie AP mine cutaway.jpg
    02 - C3A1 Elsie AP mine cutaway.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 03 - C3A1 Elsie AP mime with safety clip.jpg
    03 - C3A1 Elsie AP mime with safety clip.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 04 - C3A1 Elsie AP mime size.jpg
    04 - C3A1 Elsie AP mime size.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 05 - C3A1 Elsie AP mine drawing.jpg
    05 - C3A1 Elsie AP mine drawing.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I got this extra info from Tim:

"There were two versions of the mine:-
Mine, Anti-Personnel, Non-Metallic, C3
Mine, Anti-Personnel, Practice, Non-Metallic, C4"

Thanks
Regards, DJH

I also have the C3 DRILL Mine. It is dark blue top and bottom with a black body.
My C4 Practice mine is green with a blue bottom.

Last edited:
Here are the photos of the Elsie Drill and Practice. They are not common in Australia so you buy one if you can find one.
I would like to know what the CAL (F) means on the top label.
The C4 Practice is missing the detector ring and the safety clip. No label on top.
The fuze is marked; SPOTTING CHARGE MINE A PERS PRAC C3. 5 - 69. It has a rubber O-ring.

Mine a.jpgMine b.jpgMine c.jpeg

They are a nice little device, very simple design. Quite common in the UK especially the drill and practice smoke.

These have always been a tough find in the US. Pieces and parts show up, but I've never had that much luck. Here is what I have.

Mine.jpg

A few years ago, some pieces of Elsie C4 Practice were secured in my area of responsibility. They were examined and then destroyed by police explosives experts by burning them down.
In an older post, pkm594 had written:
„I remember the Practice Elsie gave off that very smelly (Burnt sugar) purple smoke. If it got on you or your kit then it was almost impossible to remove completely.“
https://www.bocn.co.uk/threads/drill-c3-elsie-anti-personnel-mine.14100/#post-41919

I can totally confirm all parts of this statement. :)

Thanks for the great cutaways !

urg86-collector

Attachments

• C4-Elsie-Prac_IMG_5494.JPG
    C4-Elsie-Prac_IMG_5494.JPG
    544.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5502_Abbrand_SpottingCharge_Elsie-C4.JPG
    IMG_5502_Abbrand_SpottingCharge_Elsie-C4.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Here are the photos of the Elsie Drill and Practice. They are not common in Australia so you buy one if you can find one.
I would like to know what the CAL (F) means on the top label.
The C4 Practice is missing the detector ring and the safety clip. No label on top.
The fuze is marked; SPOTTING CHARGE MINE A PERS PRAC C3. 5 - 69. It has a rubber O-ring.

View attachment 182798View attachment 182799View attachment 182800
CAL means Canadian Arsenals Limited (CAL) - A crown corporation in the early 70s.