What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drill C3 (Elsie) Anti Personnel Mine

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
This is my drill version of the C3 anti personnel mine,
The following info is from Ordata....
"The C3A1 is a Canadian-produced blast/shape-charge antipersonnel mine. The C3A1 is nicknamed the ELSIE. The mines pointed end is pushed into the ground so as only to expose the top portion of the mine. The shipping plug is removed and the charge assembly with safety clip is inserted into the mine body assembly. Once emplaced into the ground, the safety collar of the mine is removed to arm the mine. Mine will actuate when 7-12 kg force is applied. Upon activation, an explosive charge will detonate sending explosively formed penetrator upward. This mine was in service with the Canadian and British Army. The US and Japanese copy of this mine is called the M25 and Type 67, respectively"

added...Elsie mines are supplied with an aluminium detector ring fitted. However, the ring is designed to be easily removed, and without it the mine becomes a minimal metal mine.

Attachments

• elDSC00011.jpg
    elDSC00011.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 130
  • elDSC00012.jpg
    elDSC00012.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 122
  • elDSC00013.jpg
    elDSC00013.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 112
  • elDSC00014.jpg
    elDSC00014.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 108
  • elDSC00015.jpg
    elDSC00015.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
inside the DRILL version

Attachments

• elsieDSC00019.jpg
    elsieDSC00019.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 152
and the C4 Practice version, had a smoke charge rather than HE.

Attachments

• c4mine.JPG
    c4mine.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 69
Elsie mechanism group

The Elsie mechanism consists of the striker spring, striker, striker retaining balls, and primer. The primer is similar to a shotgun shell primer. This example is from a practice purple smoke Elsie.
c4elsie_group2.jpg

Mechanism xrays

c4elsie_xray.jpg

Last edited:
Prac Elsie

I remember the Practice Elsie gave off that very smelly (Burnt sugar) purple smoke. If it got on you or your kit then it was almost impossible to remove completely.

They were a good piece of training kit. Even though AP mines are banned by most (and for good reason!), it is a shame that relatively realistic training cannot continue to aid those in conflicts with groups or nations that have not banned AP mines.:sad:

I remember visiting a Bosnian ammo depot where they had retained over 200,000 HE AP mines for training as the Ottawa convention set no limit for training mines.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Cardboard inner container for C3A1 (Elsie) AP mines

A few photos of an inner container I have. It doesn't have any of the internal packing pieces (also cardboard as I remember it). I kept pencils in it for years. If anyone needs one for their collection (rather than for commercial resale) I would be happy to post it to you.

Attachments

• CNV00139.JPG
    CNV00139.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 74
  • CNV00140.JPG
    CNV00140.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 67
  • CNV00141.JPG
    CNV00141.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 70
  • CNV00142.JPG
    CNV00142.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 58
Hi all, attached are my 2 Elsie mines. One is a Dummy, with ELSIE DUMMY in white letters. The spike is in blue with a orange ring. The whole body over painted in gloss green (bought from a prop master of a local movie company). It does not have a metal ring. The other is practice Elsie, marked MINE AP PRAC NM C4 CGE 66. The top of the mine body is covered in green felt as is the top of the detonator. It does have a detachable metal ring. The det is marked MINE C4 LOT CIL 1 4. There is some staining from the purple dye. The det pocket is larger in the practice Elsie.

Cheers,

Greg

Attachments

• elsie1.jpg
    elsie1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 91
  • elsie2.jpg
    elsie2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 95
  • elsie3.jpg
    elsie3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 84
I'm looking for a Drill charge and safety clip for my Elsie. Does any one have one to sell or swap?
Cheers
Hangarman

C3 Elsie anti-personnel mine
The info that follows is from my T2 course notes circa 1979. I apologise if any of it is duplicating info already on the site.

The mine is designed and made in Canada, is non-metallic and works on the hollow charge principle. It has a ball release type firing mechanism. It can penetrate 12 ply vehicle tyre or 3/8 inch (approx 9 mm) mild steel plate. It consists of two main parts, the body assembly and the explosive charge assembly.

The body assembly includes the mechanical components needed to fire the mine and a detonator assembly. It is fitted with a transit plug and associated lifting becket in storage and for handling. There is also a removeable aluminium detector ring that fits around the sloped top of the body.

The explosive charge assembly includes a shaped charge of CE (Tetryl) and has a plastic cone for stand-off distance and hollow charge effect. It is provided with a safety clip that, when removed, allows movement of the explosive charge assembly, thus arming the mine.

Camouflage is achieved by the flat top of the body assembly and top of the explosive charge assembly being fitted with green rayon towelling. The body assembly and explosive charge assembly are made of moulded green plastic.

The C4 Practice mine represents the C3 mine for training purposes. The body assembly is the same as the C3 mine but is light blue, has no detonator assembly and the internal diameter of the recess is larger, to be incompatible with the explosive charge assembly of an operational mine. The mine is re-usable and is provided with spare springs and balls. In place of an explosive charge assembly there is a spotting charge assembly, having a percussion cap and smoke composition that emits blue smoke for 8 - 12 seconds.

There was also a drill (dark blue) version, as shown in the first post.

Last edited:
Did the "American" version look just like those from Canada and Britain? If not, does anybody have a picture of the "American Verision"?

C3 Drill Mine

I have a blue C3 Drill mine with the metal ring. I also have a cardboard ammo carton - C8A1 for 12 x drill mines - as per photo.

C3-AP Drill Mine and Box.jpg

Anyone able to advise value of mine and box please.

Thanks

Tim

Were the US Elsies imported from Canada or were the made in the US?
Are the US Elsies identical to Canadian ones?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always told that they were purchased for limited use, like with the V40 grenade. If we played around at making our own version I have never seen it or any documentation on it.

I was always told that they were purchased for limited use, like with the V40 grenade. If we played around at making our own version I have never seen it or any documentation on it.

Thank you Jeff.
Any ideas what numbers we are talking about here, i.e. how many purchased units? This would interesting for ordnance collectors, too.

Thank you Jeff.
Any ideas what numbers we are talking about here, i.e. how many purchased units? This would interesting for ordnance collectors, too.

Which theater were the Elsies used in?
Korea? Vietnam ? Gulf War?

Elsie is one mysterious munition...hard to get info...