What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"C50" fuze

F0031

Can someone give me a positive id on this one. The markings are Ex.El.AZ C50, WaA309, Rh.S. 1937. I've seen pictures of type 5 and 15 fuzes with similar markings but here there's a blank space where the type number should be. Any speculation as to how it got into that state? Perhaps it survived the bomb explosion or was it run over by a tank?

Thanks,

Tony

Attachments

• Fuze ExElAZ C50 1f.jpg
    Fuze ExElAZ C50 1f.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Fuze ExElAZ C50 1c.jpg
    Fuze ExElAZ C50 1c.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Fuze ExElAZ C50 1d.jpg
    Fuze ExElAZ C50 1d.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 32
  • Fuze ExElAZ C50 1a.jpg
    Fuze ExElAZ C50 1a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Fuze ExElAZ C50 1e.jpg
    Fuze ExElAZ C50 1e.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 26
Hi Tony

Ex stands for 'exercise' or 'dummy'........so it looks like you have a dummy fuze that would have fitted into a 50kg bomb. Not seen one of these before so could be quite a scarce item, especially with such an early date!! This fuze obviously could represent a number 5 or number 15 so hence the lack of any markings in a circle as normally found on the fuze heads.

Nice pick up, well done

regards Kev

Thanks, gentlemen, for enlightening me about Ex = Exercise.

Paul, I saw the thread you posted. Most interesting. I didn't realise the thing is complete (albeit somewhat mangled) rather than part of a normal size fuze. I'll try to get to Pudsey in a couple of weeks time.

T.