What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cable cutting round

The description says:
This is anInert Cartridge Cable Cutting Mk 1. Cable cutting cartridges were used in WW2 in some aircraft to cut cables of barrage balloons. This inert example is head-stamped ’12 ELEY KYNOCH 12 ( and ICI in a small circle).

I think I have quite good imagination, but I cannot see this in operation. Can someone educate me, please?

Bob

The description says:
I think I have quite good imagination, but I cannot see this in operation. Can someone educate me, please?

This has come up a bit in my work, but I've yet to see the full contraption. This is what I think happens:
Imagine, if you will a plane flying along. The wing contacts a balloon cable or PAC style weapon. On allied aircraft they had armoured leading edges to prevent the cable biting into the wing. The Cable would then slide down the wing to a socket, when it is lodged in the socket, the cable cutting round fires and severs the cable. The blade on the round would likely be in contact with the cable it was to cut when it fired.

I think the Germans had a similar idea, but used heated cutting blades.

I had always understood this to be an early EOD cartridge, but I suppose it could have had other uses. I've never heard of the aircraft theory, and it seems a little unusual. The armored leading edges makes no sense, as the BB Bombs did not depend on cutting into the wing. The two versions I have documentation on (US, thought the UK was very similar) had one that utilized a parachute to place a sudden 4 tons of drag on the one side of the aircraft, the second and more common was an explosive charge that was attached to the cable and as the cable slid over the wing the contact between the charge and the wing caused detonation. Armoring the leading edge against the cable would make no difference. The cable cutting arrangement seems complicated and unlikely, what gun fires it? I've never seen a publication or device. Interesting if someone can find an example.
Here is a picture of my T2 BB Bomb, not a clear picture, it is cropped from a shelf shot. Best I can do from work. This was the US explosive version.

DSCN7129.jpg

I had always understood this to be an early EOD cartridge, but I suppose it could have had other uses. I've never heard of the aircraft theory, and it seems a little unusual. The armored leading edges makes no sense, as the BB Bombs did not depend on cutting into the wing. The two versions I have documentation on (US, thought the UK was very similar) had one that utilized a parachute to place a sudden 4 tons of drag on the one side of the aircraft, the second and more common was an explosive charge that was attached to the cable and as the cable slid over the wing the contact between the charge and the wing caused detonation. Armoring the leading edge against the cable would make no difference. The cable cutting arrangement seems complicated and unlikely, what gun fires it? I've never seen a publication or device. Interesting if someone can find an example.
Here is a picture of my T2 BB Bomb, not a clear picture, it is cropped from a shelf shot. Best I can do from work. This was the US explosive version.

View attachment 166215

I am assuming by 'BB bombs' you mean PAC, and later balloon barrage's?

They used to cut into the wing, which enabled them to remain in place, then would add drag to the wing. The armoured leading edge was to prevent them biting in (as @buster's post shows). I've got enough documents which support that.

In the 1980s there were also electrically initiated cable cutter assemblies, for the Army Air Corps, if I remember correctly. Probably a type of jettison device. SS11 fitted to Scout helicopters also had a jettison facility, whereby the pylons (each supported two wire guided missiles) could be jettisoned via the T10K controller in the aircraft cabin.

Excellent pictures and document, thanks for posting. I've never seen anything similar in US docs. The US information that I have only refers to the Barrage Balloon, referred to as B.B. T2. If I get home early enough tonight I'll try and take a better photo of the marking label, and maybe a picture or two from the publication.
I've got one of these cartridges, I'll have to move it from EOD cartridges to CADS. I've got a number of guillotine CADs, but all are captive blade, none firing a loose projectile.

Thank You gentlemen for Your time and effort!
I learned something new here, again :)

Bocn is a nice place to learn and share, like it.

Another one found on the web

1achisel-049380.jpg1achisel-049380_3.jpg1achisel-049380_2.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has the same headstamp as shown in the document. I assume these were dropped out of inventory at the end of the war?
A couple of pictures plus a little more info on the US BB Bombs. I'd have to go back and check to confirm the FM number, I believe it is FM 4-192.

FM 7.jpg FM 6.jpg FM 1.jpg FM 2.jpg FM 3.jpg FM 4.jpg