What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera recommendation sought

Hello all, As I have mentioned in previous posts the digital camera I have leaves a bit to be desired. What I have is an Olympus FE-100 4.0 megapixel that I bought used off ebay a few years back. I would like to get a digital camera that will do good "close up" work and show good detail. What I can't do is "break the bank". If someone could recommend a moderately priced digi cam I would be most appreciative. Dano

Cheap

Hi Hazord, i'm thinking 200.00U.S. maximum. I know that's not a whole lot of jack, but budget really tight. Dano

Last edited:
Hi Dano, I use a pentax Optio 5 megapixel camera, its a compact camera and its excellent for close up detail work and prices are getting better all the time, mines old and been dropped a few times but still hanging in there and I will be looking for another one when this one finally gives up. Also have digital SLR thats 10 mega pixel but I find thelittle old Pentax much easyer to use.

I would look into resolution requiremants for photo printing and publishing if you want pictures with a book in mind as you can loose a lot of quality in the printing process even if the pictures look sharp on the computer screen, would pay to seek some expert advise on that side of it and possiably bite the bullet and spend a little extra if need be.

Good luck with your search
Regards
MG34NZ

Last edited:
I would suggest looking for an older one that is being replaced by a newer model. They work good, but the price is low. Also look for one with the largest LCD so you can see what you shot. I suggest a cannon. I will have to find you a model number.

I would suggest looking for an older one that is being replaced by a newer model. They work good, but the price is low. Also look for one with the largest LCD so you can see what you shot. I suggest a cannon. I will have to find you a model number.

I'd go for a Canon as well. I had an Ixus 4 megapixel one for about 3 years before I dropped a really heavy box on it (yes it was full of shells!!) so now have a newer Ixus with more pixels. They make a good range of Ixus camera for different prices and they always work well.
Dave.

thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I opted for the Pentax Optio as suggested by MG34NZ. I've seen some of his pics and found on on ebay bargain basement priced. Pentax Optio M30 7.1 megapixel. $77.99U.S. buy it now! Thanks for the help all..Dano

Last edited:
I use a 3 year old Samsung Digi-Max. Its ok but steams through the rechargeable batteries in no time.
Has a great macro-setting..(hint to Fuzeman! lol ;))

cheers

waff

Just to add to this thread, I can hearily recommend panasonic's lumix range. I've had an FZ-20 for a few years now and it's still as good as I when I got it. They're going pretty cheap now (ebay) as they're a few seasons behind but it certainly takes extremely good photos.

Very good review of it here along with sample photos : http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html