What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anybody identify this brass pistol ?

flower411

Anybody know what this is ??

gun001.jpg

Hi Flower411,
Sorry i cant help with the id, Please can you confirm that this pistol is a deact as is required by the site rules. Please take a minute to read them through.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/please-read-before-t34459.html

Best regards Weasel.

Hi ... As far as I can tell this is part of something else and would not be in any way functional without something else attached to it. There is certainly no way of charging or priming it in it`s current state and the trigger definately doesn`t appear to be functional. I`m not even convinced it`s a weapon !!

I have shown it to a couple of militaria dealers and they were stumped too , hence my post on here.

Spose I should have introduced myself really but I spent so much time trying to resize my pics (unsucessfully !!) that I got fed up and had to go out resulting in the rather short message and huge pic !!

I think it is a light signalling pistol/lamp for use on airfraft.
It would fit in the sextant mount & be used to communicate with other aircraft by morse?
Just a thought as it does not look to have an action with chamber to the barrel
Some more pics would be good. Does it open up?

I think it is a light signalling pistol/lamp for use on airfraft.
It would fit in the sextant mount & be used to communicate with other aircraft by morse?
Just a thought as it does not look to have an action with chamber to the barrel
Some more pics would be good. Does it open up?

I have taken lots of pics but I`m having issues getting them smaller ....so if you`ll bear with me I`ll start putting them up on.

You`re idea sounds good so I`ll stick a pic that I think is relevent first !

[ame="http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/flower411_photo/gun/?action=view&current=gun004.jpg"]gun :: gun004.jpg picture by flower411_photo - Photobucket[/ame]

Woooo ... looks like I`ve linked directly to photobucket and all the pics !!! Fill ya boots !!

Last edited:
There was a similar item on here before, I can't remember if it was ever fully identified or not. However, it was determined that it was not a gun, and was some sort of electrical switch.

There was a similar item on here before, I can't remember if it was ever fully identified or not. However, it was determined that it was not a gun, and was some sort of electrical switch.

Yes .... I`m quite certain that it isn`t a weapon, I`m just interested in trying to date it and find out it`s function. We had moved towards it being some kind of switch but signalling makes sense because of the diaphram kinda thing behind the lense .....I couldn`t make sense of it before because there is no view point through the lense but if it was attached to a signalling lamp you wouldn`t have to see throught it !

My thoughts are towards a Surveying device or perhaps a device related to gun sights or calibration of gun sights.
The manufacturers monogram is "CGSCo" - wild guess C*** Gun Sight Co ?
The open "muzzle" end appears to have a central contact surrounded by another material - is it bakelite or similar? Sorry more questions than answers.

Think this is used by the navy to fire depthcharge trowhers.

Would make sense....as the object is made of brass, the use must be for some harsh environment. I presume then that the depthcharge throwers work off some electrical fired system??

regards Kev

My thoughts are towards a Surveying device or perhaps a device related to gun sights or calibration of gun sights.
The manufacturers monogram is "CGSCo" - wild guess C*** Gun Sight Co ?
The open "muzzle" end appears to have a central contact surrounded by another material - is it bakelite or similar? Sorry more questions than answers.

Yeah ... I can see what your looking at but on close inspection I`d say it was more likely to be steel than bakelite !! That may not help at all and I`m only going by rubbing my thumbnail across it !! But it certainly doesn`t appear to be any kind of plastic, just another metal.

Sure looks like a flare pistol to me.
If you have trouble with large jpegs for this site. Download the image viewer at www.Irfanview.com . Under image tool bar there is a resize option that works real easy. remember to 'save as' after resizing.
John
P.s. this free viewer will let you view all known image formats and most video files.

Sure looks like a flare pistol to me.
If you have trouble with large jpegs for this site. Download the image viewer at www.Irfanview.com . Under image tool bar there is a resize option that works real easy. remember to 'save as' after resizing.
John
P.s. this free viewer will let you view all known image formats and most video files.

To be honest .... flare pistol or grenade launcher was where we started .... show me a picture of another one and I`ll slope off into the bushes :tinysmile_tongue_t:

The last one was

The firing trigger for a large ships gun, electrical firing type. I think the electrical current/wiring comes into the box on top and the Pistol Barrel or rather a plug in part fits into the ships gun someplace, pulling the trigger completes the circuit and fires the gun. This is Battle ship stuff. Now a days a button is likely pushed.