What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help with identification please

maximus

Ordnance approved
Can anyone help with this? The dimensions are 85mm diameter x 305mm length. The driving band appears to be a simple, single copper band that has discoloured with age. Despite the dodgy photo, the 'line' around the ogive is not a join but is actually a large crack which tapers down the body of the shell. The base is solid but appears as though it may be screw threaded. Way to rusty now to confirm with any certainty. No other markings are present. Very heavy, query solid shot. The dimensions suggest a 3 pounder? The area behind the driving band with the 'lugs' sticking out is confusing and unusual looking. The 'lugs' are arranged in 2 rows around the base and evenly spaced apart. Hope somebody can help because I am baffled!
IMG_3518.JPG

Hi Maximus, its a 3" rocket head. The head is a reject 25pr solid shot with the driving band turned down flush with the body. The studs you can see are what locates the collar onto the rocket motor. The head is screwed into the collar.
Cheers
Gary

Gary,

Nice one! couldn't find anything on it for love nor money. Thanks for your help!

Hi Maximus, Just looked at your picture and there appear to be 2 more heads, well half heads in the picture. Are you any where near Banff ? I'm looking for a converted 25pr rocket head if you find another one.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Maximus, Just looked at your picture and there appear to be 2 more heads, well half heads in the picture. Are you any where near Banff ? I'm looking for a converted 25pr rocket head if you find another one.
Cheers
Gary

Uncommon head shape (missing ballistic cap ?)

3in roquette - Copie.JPG