What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can somebody identify this fuse, please?

This was found in a field in the Isle of Man and handed in to the Manx Aviation & Military Museum. I only know about 40mm stuff so can anybody tell me what it is, please?

Attachments

• MAPS4888 1.jpg
    MAPS4888 1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 41
  • MAPS4888 2.jpg
    MAPS4888 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 39
it's a british No.80 Double Action Fuze. The Manufacturing date should be stamped somewhere on the fuze cap - maybe it is still visible. Most of them were produced in WW1 and used on 18-pr. and other shrapnell shells.

Great! Thanks Alpini, you've saved me hours of searching. There is a 17 stamped faintly on it, which I guess will be the year, and there's a faint No.80 followed by a very faint VII which I assume is the Mark number.

It's a mystery how it got here. Thanks again.

The Gas Vents appear to still be closed by the brass discs.

If so then it may still be live.

I suggest you get the local EOD to look at it.

Glevum is right, also the present base plate is an indication that it is still live. It is also possible that it is a fully inert war souvenir but only authorized personel can say after removing the base plate.

Argh! Thanks again. There doesn't seem to be anything in it when I look into the hole but our museum policy is not to handle live stuff and my own policy is "it's live until somebody tells me it's not".