What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone ID this 18Pdr?

Matthew Lawton

Hi Guys
I have just purchased this 18Pdr and i have not the foggiest of what it is.
It is the same weight and dimensions of the standard shrapnel shell however it has that massive brass adapter and unusual fuse.
Has anyone got and ideas? is it some type of shrapnel shell? Is it a star shell? Any info would be appreciated.
I have seen this type of fuse and adapter on some 60 Pdr Mk2 streamlined but never on an 18Pdr.
Best regards
Matthew

WP_20150621_010.jpgWP_20150621_011.jpgWP_20150621_012.jpgWP_20150621_013.jpg

HI
i am very limited to the questions i can answer as the shell is still with a friend of mine in Belgium.
However i know the following.
The fuse unscrews perfectly. I have not been told the base is hollow but have been told the plate that would sit above the charge on a shrapnel shell is present.
I have also been told that the man who sold it to my friend was the same person who un-earthed it.
The fuse has been polished within a inch of its life and almost all the markings are illegible.
Sorry i could not be of more help.
Has any one got any ideas?
Best regards
Matthew

Hello,

Wrong combination : body of a fired 18pr shrapnel + brass adapter with fuze no 88 or no 94 (same shape as no83) of a 60pr shrapnel (one of a streamlined model).

Regards.

60pr shrapnel streamline.jpg