What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can someone identify this german detonator?

Hello,

It's a German ZeitZunder 9 (for destruction charge - Navy)

Regards

ztz9 bocn.jpg

Last edited:
Clollector,

Do you know that the white indicators are radio activ!!!
In Holland they have to stand in a plastic tube and behind glass

Regards,

Chris

Clollector,

Regards,

Chris

My father had for a long time a nice mechanical watch with a phosphorescent dial !! I loved playing with this watch at night when I was young !!

There is also some type of old green colored glass (in german language Uranglas) which is also slightly radioactive like this color but most people don't know. A friend measured both the color and the green glas with a Geiger counter. Both emitted nearly the same radiation. He was able to measure some counts only at very close distance (~1-4 cm). Smoking cigarettes or drinking should be much more risky...

And I also wonder if a plastic tube or glass is a good protection against radiation :)

Last edited:
And I also wonder if a plastic tube or glass is a good protection against radiation :)

Of the three types of radiation (alpha, beta, gamma) from the decay of radioactive material, alpha is the most damaging to living tissue. Alpha particles are helium nucleii and are highly ionising, but with low range and low penetration. Highly ionising means they damage cells they hit and so can cause mutations (therefore can cause cancers). However, the low range is only a few cm in air and the low penetration means they are stopped by skin, or paper. Plastic is an excellent barrier.

The real danger comes from inhaling or ingesting alpha decay radioactive material. Early workers in watch factories used to lick the paintbrushes to get a fine point and then apply the radioactive paint to the watch faces. Ultimately they ingested radioactive material and had highly damaging alpha sources taken directly into their stomachs and intestines. The resulting cancers resulted in the banning of radium-based paints and changes in work practices.

Putting a radium-marked fuze or watch face behind plastic and glass is more than sufficient range and barrier protection for any observers.

Tom.

Last edited:
now i have more information as i hoped, thanks for all,

and to be sure i shall put it in a box or plastic

thanks for the information

another question,
it is not becouse of the radioactivity, but this is not something that fits in my collection.
so im planning to sell or trade it, what is a fair price to ask when i sell this

There is also some type of old green colored glass (in german language Uranglas) which is also slightly radioactive like this color but most people don't know. A friend measured both the color and the green glas with a Geiger counter. Both emitted nearly the same radiation. He was able to measure some counts only at very close distance (~1-4 cm). Smoking cigarettes or drinking should be much more risky...

Its called Uranium glass, very big in the 1930/deco era.
Under an UV light it will fluoresce a 'pleasing' shade of green!.