What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you help me identify these please?

mrscott

I have been trying to find out some information on a few pieces I have found in local woodland - with little success!
My search ultimately brought me here, and I hope someone can give me some info on their identity - what might have fired them and age etc.
All three are 11mm across at their widest.

4730992391_c5b0a980d3.jpg

Webley

These are .455" Webley Mark II bullets, fired probably by a Webley Mark VI service revolver or one of the earlier marks, although other weapons such as the Colt and Smith & Wesson also fired those rounds.

They are almost impossible to date as the round was in service from the 1890s, through WWI and into WWII. The lead bullet Mark II had been replaced at the beginning of WWII by the metal jacketed Mark VI bullet due to fears of contravening international agreements, but there were still plenty of Mark II rounds used for practice.

Your best hope of dating them will be in the context of local history. Was the site a WWI camp, or perhaps a WWII Home Guard range?

Regards
TonyE

Thanks very much for the information!

The area they were found in has much history associated with it, though perhaps most likely would be from WW2.

Thanks again for taking the time for your replies. :top: