What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian Mills No.36?

turpin42

After finding out the cutaway was Canadian, had a look at the other Mills i have.
This one has been repainted but is it Canadian?
C/A on the body and under the filling hole what looks like the Canadian version of the broad arrow mark (seen the same on some Canadian webbing) Broad arrow within a C
I may have answered this one myself but would be great to get it confirmed.
Almost forgot, steel baseplug maked C and broad arrow...
All the very best

T42

Attachments

• Canada.jpg
    Canada.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 30
Hi buddy,

i have a drill 36 with a C/A on the side, dont think its Canadian. Dont know who CA is either, have seen a few around though. I reccon its Brit.

Andy

I thought all Canadian Mills bombs were stamped with a G (Galt metals industry, Ontario). Let me try and dig my reference list of casters out tonight and I'll have a look.
Rob

Hi buddy,

i have a drill 36 with a C/A on the side, dont think its Canadian. Dont know who CA is either, have seen a few around though. I reccon its Brit.

Andy

Callenders Abbots Foundry Co Ltd Glasgow used the CA mark. Usual maybe's apply.

Ah Norman,

many thanks for that, i have always wondered what C/A meant having seen it on many 36s. Thats filled a gap, thank you.

Andy

Thank you

Hi
Thank you all for the replies!
I looked everywhere on the nett but no-one had who CA was.
These Mills really grow on you if you get what i mean.
I remember the first one (repro) i got from Sussex Armory (anyone else remember them and those great catalogues/posters?) when i was a lad...
Since moving here i've gotten a hold of some nice examples.

All the very best and thanks again

T42

"C/A" is British as far as I know.
There are a few Canadian manufacturers of Mills No.36's...

"G" for Galt Metal Industries
"FW" for Frost & Woods (Bradford, Ontario)
"M" for Montreal Munitions (not Morum & Co.)
"C" for Chatham Co. (Chatham, Ontario)
"Chatco" on levers also for Chatham Co. (Chatham, Ontario)

Cheers,
Brad