What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian No 69 grenade

paul the grenade

Hi All.
I got this little beautie the other day, Its a canadian manufactured No69 grenade. Marked on the base and fuze with a letter S in a circle which is Joseph Stokes Rubber Co, Ontario. and dated 43.
Does anyone have any info on the painted markings? i presume they were the same as british models. i understand they would have had the monogram of the filling station (cherrier) somewhere on the body as well. anyone know what it looked like? it may be on another type of ordnance of canadian manufacture as well.
any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Paul

Attachments

• IMAG1102.jpg
    IMAG1102.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG1103.jpg
    IMAG1103.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG1104.jpg
    IMAG1104.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 69
Nice one Paul never seen a Canadian marked one before, Only red Australian ones, I wonder if there are any other Commonwealth makers ?

Thats fantastic infanteer. Can you read the full markings on the green band? And does it have any white markings on top of the cap? Cheers, Paul.

Unfortunately, what you see is all that remains for markings on the body but yes, there are markings on the cap. I have no idea if there was any white markings originally on the body but there is no evidence of anything else. The markings on the green band are "BAR 20/80" in black indicating the filler composition of course.

Canadian No69 cap.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got my canadian No69 re painted. the top was done with rubber stamps i had made and the body is done with stencills. hope you all like it. Paul.

Attachments

• IMAG1235.jpg
    IMAG1235.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG1236.jpg
    IMAG1236.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 54
As luck would have it I recently purchased this group of Canadian caps. This photo is courtesy of the seller as I haven't received them yet.

M24-11.jpg

Here is one that was stuck in with a British version at the Aberdeen Museum collection. Interesting that this one is a souvenir. Also marked EMPTY EXHIBITION SMAPLE.

Does anyone know if there were any differences between the UK and Canadian Versions?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-251-21.JPG
    ICE-JV-251-21.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 20
  • ICE-JV-251-17.JPG
    ICE-JV-251-17.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 23
  • ICE-JV-251-22.JPG
    ICE-JV-251-22.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ICE-JV-251-23.JPG
    ICE-JV-251-23.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 20
I think they were probably made to identical specifications , only makers marks would differ although the Canadian version was , apparently , less liable to moisture ingress over time . Perhaps Darryl would have more info on this ?

To the best of my knowledge there were no differences between British or Canadian manufacture.