What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannon/ordnance references on Scribd for free

Shell Shifter

I have been collecting references to old and modern cannon for some time. I have been uploading them to a service called Scribd so other folks with my interests can get at them.

Take a look

http://www.scribd.com/cbirdseye

Its all free. I think that you need to register if you want to follow what I am uploading, otherwise just check in occasionally.

I've got hundreds of references and uploading takes a little time since I am trying to provide a bit of description.

Enjoy.

modify_inline.gif

Shell Shifter,

Thanks for uploading all the material. Just so you know, I was able to download 3 documents and then scribd wanted a paid membership from me. I logged out, then came back on, and it wouldn't let me download any more material without a paid membership, so it appears they are making money from all of your hard work.

Sir:
Do you have any documents on British Artillery projectiles and fuzes 186-70s?
Thanks
John

As an add on to this thread i would like to recommend a fantastic book covering the early history of cannon and tactics of this weapon. The book is called
The Gunner:
The Making Of Fire Works by Robert Norton

There was a print of this book in 1973 ISBN 90 221 0617 9

I was lucky to pick up a paper back copy of this book in an antique/junk shop recently, 160 pages with lots of pull outs showing cannon types projectile design etc. A really great reference book, if you have an interest in this field.
Best regards Weasel.

Shell Shifter,

Thanks for uploading all the material. Just so you know, I was able to download 3 documents and then scribd wanted a paid membership from me. I logged out, then came back on, and it wouldn't let me download any more material without a paid membership, so it appears they are making money from all of your hard work.

If you have an account you can avoid the payment by uploading a document yourself.

Weasel can you make a scan of one of the projectile or fuze pages?
Regards,
John

Thanks Shell,
I have the 1877 Treatise. They review the wooden time fuses and Armstrong E Metal Time fuse, the B.L. Plain, G.S. Pettman and a couple of others. The projectiles and later fuzes are out of the 1860 -70 period that is my main interest. Actually I go back to 1855.
During our Civil War, Great Britain sold or traded guns, projectiles and fuzes/fuses to both the North and the South and that is my interest. I probablyhave about 150 shells and fuzes that I have made color plates of thanks to several members on BOCN who kindly shared their hi-res images.
All the Best,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John,
The book pre dates anything that would fit in with your interest i think, but i have inclueded a few pics for you to look at.
The Gunner The Making of Fire Works.jpgThe Gunner The Making of Fire Works.jpgThe Gunner The Making of Fire Works.jpgThe Gunner The Making of Fire Works.jpg

Best regards Weasel.

The scribe site, I have found that it will also allow you to upload a document and then it will let you down load for 24 hours. I have been using this site for the last 3 to 4 years and never have had a problem with them. Their search engine kind of sucks but as you go through the pubs it brings up there is always something nice to download

Thanks Weasel, yes it is much earlier than the time period I have interest in.
If any other member would like to share fuze images from 1860-70 please pm me.
Regards,
John