What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannonball or Mortar

Ernie300

Please can anyone help

Cnv0034.jpg

Cnv0035.jpg

Cnv0036.jpg

Cnv0037.jpg

I have split a cannon ball from its concretion and found it has a brass stopper with a threaded tube sticking out I believe it is a fuse holder anybody know what i have and is it safe!!!!!!!!

Smoothbore spherical Shell, Boxer metal time fuse;

I can't speak for British shells but mortars usually have two tong holoes 180 degrees apart ot lift with tongs due to weight. can we have ball diameter using calipers?
It is employing the Boxer Metal Time Fuze, 7.5 sec. or it could have a longer time up to 20 seconds.
If the fuse will not remove then it is still loaded with black powder or you should assujme so.
Regards,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Do as spotter says. Under no circumstances try to undo the fuze as the ball almost certainly contains black powder.

BD

please just leave it you will hurt your self that looks old and dangerous :tinysmile_angry2_t: i think its a cannon ball

I cant get an accurate mesurement as the ball has been coroding at the bottom of the sea since about 1850's its about 10"

we had 6 standard cannon ball and this one with a fuse holder , untill you split them from the concrection you dont know

think i should have left this on the bottom where i found it

thanks for the help

yer i agree we get stuff like this just off the coast of essex on the trawler and if its a cannon ball or artillery shell. If its got a brass plug its either a tracer of a fuse and in your case i would assume its a fuse time or precusion i dont know

reguards will

Ermie,
there is no need to panic. I told you what kind of fuse it has. A driven mealed powder train time fuse produced by the Royal laboratory at woolwich at the Arsenal.
If you found it underwater chances are the ball has flooded out through the time fuse. The safety cap is missing from the fuse allowing water to soften the mealed powder and perhaps even inter into the explosive charge of black powder.
to be safe, sumerge the ball completely underwater with the fuse facing up so as to continue to allow water entgry. Hot water is best.
then phone the police or authorities to pick it up.
Questions?? I would not suggest that you try to remove the fuse or it powder.
Regards
John aka Bart

Ermie,
Additionally, smoothbore sphericals shellls such as these do not contain tracers. If left alone in a remote area out of water they will eventually crack and split open.
John