What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cannonball

leeski

bought a few cannonballs this weekend in the pile was this one it measures 4 inch in diameter and weighs aprox 7 lb 7 oz it has a hole right through the middle any ideas what its for

many thanx lee

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 27
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 44
Fly Press counter weight!

Sadly Lee I think what you have there is a "counter weight" ball for a hand "Fly press"-you should be able to just see the two holed balls on either end of the swing arm.

Attachments

• fly press.JPG
    fly press.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 41
In my experience counter weights for a fly press are much heavier. What about bottom weights of a trawl?

could be chris but the cannonball has a large chunk missing from the side looks like its hit something when fired and wouldent a fly press have a steel ball and not an iron one ?

regards lee

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
I am inclined to go with Tmine on this one, it does look like the bottom weight off a trawl.
Best regards Weasel.

Sorry, I don't know what it is..but it is NOT a Cannonball..I have about 20 of differant sizes and types..solid, shell and even a barshot..the seam line in your is not straight nor ground the way they are done on any cannonball I have seen or recovered.

No cannonball would ever have a hole all the way through..the closest I have seen is a 3 piece barshot..a very rare type ( and I have one)..the hole only goes into the ball about half way..and it is a 4 sided hole..not round.

Here in Canada I have found far more rock crushing balls and shot put than real cannonballs.
Can you post a good photo of the seam line so others can see what I am refuring too?

Thank you
Dean

heres some pics of the seam line i think the odd shaped part is the top of the mould
looking at the other balls i see what you mean about the seam being grinded
thanx lee

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Well again, I have several cannonballs..many I have dug myself that date French Indian Wars !750s..to US Civil War 1860s..and none have a seam or spue like that...that was alwats ground down...so I am sure this isn't right...

Just my thoughts.

Dean