What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car boots/markets in Belgium and France

18pounder

Evening to everyone

Before i get depressed about having to go to work tommorow I wanted some help.

Planning trip to Belgium soon and wanted to find out where the best 'flea' markets are for buying ordnance and related?

Ive heard there are real bargains to be had but have never visited them.

If anyone has the location,I would be very gratefull

Thanks

18pounder:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Hi bud,

no info at all about markets in Belgium etc but why are you depressed about going to work, especially on a Monday? Ime self employed, have no problems with either a Sunday or a Monday and have had to work today for a couple of hours and earned good money too. Used to have to meet clients at set times when i was employed 15 years ago, now dont wear a watch so dont care. My view is that every day is the same and if you dont like it you are in the wrong job. No more clock watching for me and if iam late, well, ime here now is what i say.

Andy

My job is fine!!! arghhh i just hate mondays after having a chilled weekend!

I get paid well for what i do (Prison Service) so i cant complain really!

Its just mondays.

Anyway getting back to the question:

Does anyone know of recommended flea/car boot/market stalls in France and Belgium that sell ordnance/militaria??

Ive heard you can get some real bargains.
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

18pounder

well,thought i'd re-post this as i havent had any information back yet.

Maybe some of our French or Belgian brothers can help??:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Customs

Getting a bargain is not a problem,getting it back is! Be careful mate.

There is a pretty good show in Arlon, right near the Luxemborg border. I haven't been in sometime, but it used to be that almost anything could show up, from projos to machine guns, masks to grenades. I've been told that the best deals are over, everyone thinks there stuff is plated with gold, but the first issue is to find it - paying for it comes after.

Be cautious in Belgium. There are many decent collectors, but similar to France there is a lot of relic crap floating around, and in hard times uneducated (non-collectors) people will pick up anything from the field to turn a buck. We used to find at least one live piece (or live components) per show. Let the buyer beware.

You will need to check with someone else on the times and dates, but it used to run one Sunday per month, 0900-1300. Fast and furious, with lots or period pieces.

There is a pretty good show in Arlon, right near the Luxemborg border. I haven't been in sometime, but it used to be that almost anything could show up, from projos to machine guns, masks to grenades. I've been told that the best deals are over, everyone thinks there stuff is plated with gold, but the first issue is to find it - paying for it comes after.

Be cautious in Belgium. There are many decent collectors, but similar to France there is a lot of relic crap floating around, and in hard times uneducated (non-collectors) people will pick up anything from the field to turn a buck. We used to find at least one live piece (or live components) per show. Let the buyer beware.

You will need to check with someone else on the times and dates, but it used to run one Sunday per month, 0900-1300. Fast and furious, with lots or period pieces.
thanks i know this
i have eod contacts for anything that i suspect,and there are ways to bring stuff over legally

thanks for the info,just wanted to know of some good markets.

I have heard of some farmers giving live stuff to ill informed and clueless tourists.
just gives us collectors a bad rep

18pounder

It is still on

Yeah, on that note, someone mentioned on another thread that this stuff is still killing 95 years after the fact, then you look at the post on gas shells in the sea by a resort none the less. I guess WW1 may indeed never end. I've always looked at WW2 as part 2 of WW1. Alot of lives were lost between 1914 and 1945 and throw in the influenza epidemic of 1918 and things were catastrophic. when you realize that these wars are still killing it is just maddening. My that was a nickels worth...Dano