What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartridge ID required

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
These pictures were sent to me for an ID and as such I have no additional information.

I'm interested in country of origin and what the small round plugs are just off centre.

Thanks

Pete

Steel cases 1.jpgSteel cases 2.jpg

Hard to say without measurements, maybe (just guessing) 105mm tank rounds. The cartridge case heads show base fill "plugs" possibly indicating the cases were intended to be or were loaded at one time with some kind of rod penetrator AP type projectile.

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree. If you look at some of the cartridge cases shown on the museum photo thread there are a number of US cases with similar holes for loading the propellant.

I'm agreeing with the guys. 105mm M148A1B1 cases for HEAT or APFSDS-T projectiles. The plugs are filler holes for powder. You will find similar holes on 105mm Recoilless cases that were loaded with the long tailed HEAT projos.

The stake marks around the case mouths are characteristic of that model of case and the crimping of the HEAT and Dart projos.