What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case Charger Mark I

relbut

The Australian Case Chargers in the attachments were the type used in WW1. The Case was filled with four chargers of 5 cartridges or alternately filled with 20 cartridges in lots of 5 separated with thin card. Basically, the charger filled Cases were unlabelled with the ammunition box denoting "CHARGERS" and the loose filled Cases generally having an overlabel of "NOT IN CHARGERS" applied to the Case. All Cases are sealed with wraps of black cloth tape and the bottom of the Case has the maker (CAC), Mark No. and date. Seen also on surviving Case Chargers as well as bundles, particularly those from 1917 is a "Checkweighed" stamp through the years 1929 to 1935 done at Melbourne, Sydney and Hobart as it was felt that there may have been some "double bulleting" in the hectic days of WW1. As this ammunition was to be on issue to rifle clubs, better to be safe than sorry. Most of the chargers from this era are Lithgow Mark II with and without nib. Re the attachments, note the loose filled Case has CAC VI 6 15 cartridges with one having the smaller diameter primer which was also used at this time and the Case with the attached label is a loose filled Case from 1911.

Attachments

• CAC 2 17.JPG
    CAC 2 17.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 19
  • CC I Base.jpg
    CC I Base.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 20
  • CC I Loose.JPG
    CC I Loose.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 22
  • CC I Side.jpg
    CC I Side.jpg