What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Casing ink markings

Spaceinvader

Hello All,
I got a very nice Canadian 20pdr casing from "santa" this Christmas, and it was in pretty bad shape when I got it. It seems to have been a lamp at some point, had lead melted in the case mouth and around the lamp cord hole, has 3 small dents (no biggie) and spraypaint on the neck and shoulders of the casing. I polished it up and cleaned the lead off and it looks great now!

While polishing I noticed I could see the original markings, and managed to make them out and take them down. Now my question is, is there any way to put some new ones on? I assume they use some type of ink and a stamp but I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated!
Rhys

EDIT: I should also mention I will be looking for a 20pdr primer, I would like to replace the one in it currently.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Canadian ordnance, but the US used a rubber stamp pad and rolled the case or projectile over it.

To be authentic, you'd probably have to buy a full set of the proper size rubber stamps and make your own pad. And, a bottle of the metal marking ink. Not an inexpensive way to go.

Or, maybe there is a big print shop near you that can make up a pad for you?

Good Luck

Ray

Thats good to know Ray, I was not sure if they used special ink or what. I am sure I could find a somewhat inexpensive way to do it.

British cases were marked with Silver Nitrate solution. One would assume, Canadian cases were so marked.

TimG

Tim was the silver nitrate used electrolyticaly with a stamped paper stencil? as to marking cases with black ink, some sheet metal is marked using big rubber stamps and a pad of ink, I got some when our factory closed but they may not be anyway near the correct font or size.