What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cast Iron Studded Shell

hicky1300

Hi again guys!
The sort out continues & I have found this!
It is a poor quality cast iron shell with the studs (3) cast in not fitted like Armstrong ones. The studs are also cast iron.
The base has a copper sheet cover with a copper skirt - gas seal I am sure?
The shell is 98mm dia & 198mm tall.
The brass fuse housing? comes out easily on a right hand thread. The studs are for right hand rifleing.
It is hollow but no evidence of having held shrapnel or of any scoring to add to shrapnel effect on bursting as I am assuming this is an HE shell?
No marks that I can make out.
I believe this to be 1850`s?
Over to you!

Attachments

• DCP01770.jpg
    DCP01770.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 94
  • DCP01771.jpg
    DCP01771.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DCP01773.JPG
    DCP01773.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 61
Studded Common shell with gas check skirt;

Your shell's rotation system is shown at the below site. I believe3 it to be post 1070s but have no reference.

http://riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/gun/rifled11.htm

Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hicky,

Your shell is a British 4" RML shell for the WW1 trench mortar. It takes a number 31 fuze and has the same gain as the Toffe Apple mortars. As you say, the copper sheet on the base acts as a gas check. Most of the one's I have seen have been dated 1916.

ATB

BD

4" trench mortar

Indeed 4" British trench mortar, originally fitted with 25 second delay fuze and soon fitted with impact fuzes. Have see a couple of them around. Introduced early 1915.....Dano

Last edited:
Thanks a lot gents.
Have found out a bit about the 4" RML mortar as far as I can tell these were not in service for long as the Stokes etc were far superior.
Still unable to find any markings & not prepared to start messing it abouit in order to find any.

Thanks again

Artillery Shell or Mortar?

Hicky 1300,
Is your ordnance an artillery shell or mortar? Normally mortars don't use rifling or gas checks to speak of.
Regards,
John aka Bart

From what I have been told & susequently found out this is for the 4" Trench Mortar & you are right John normally a mortar barrel/tube is smooth & gas sealing is not required. Also the type you refered to was not made in this size/caliber.
From what I found though the first 3.7 & 4" Trench mortars were RML & a wad of gun cotton was placed between the charge & the projectile.
Due to Sir Stokes & others though this rather dated & slow process was moved away from by the end of the middle of the 1st WW

Anyone got a No 31 fuse?