What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic grenade

paul the grenade

Heres an interesting little gren.
its an unfinished crested china model of a No5 mills. it should have a shiney glaze and a picture of a coat of arms on it but for some reason it was never finished.
anyone got any more of these grens? i think they made quite a few different versions in different sizes.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• mini mills 1.jpg
    mini mills 1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 12
  • mini mills 2.jpg
    mini mills 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
  • mini mills 3.jpg
    mini mills 3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 17
  • mini mills 4.jpg
    mini mills 4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi Paul,

very unusual one you have there. I used to collect the first war tanks, of which there were quite a few variations - some can be quite expensive. I used to have a crested mills, but alas long gone.

There is one on ebay at present ........ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swan-Cres...PotteryPorcelain_China_SM&hash=item20bf31f34f

which looks quite nice representation of a mills. Some I think had holes for a pin to be inserted. I think they are not too difficult to find, though I guess as with anything else there are less common ones!!

regards Kev

Herewith a photocopy of the Registered Design for the crested china Mills as submitted in 1916.

Tom.

Attachments

• Crested Ware Reg. Des. No. 657211.jpg
    Crested Ware Reg. Des. No. 657211.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 32
How did you find the design registration information ?

Given the Reg. Des. number (in this case printed on the bottom of many crested china Mills grenades), I looked it up on the National Archives website to find its location reference, then went in and ordered the box file to browse through. Another (proper munitions) example is the initial lever design for the Mills bomb, attached. Some levers were stamped with the Reg. Des. number.

Tom.

Attachments

• 646009_1.jpg
    646009_1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Some of the crests even reference places where the sun shines and rugby world cups are won :tinysmile_classes_tchina mills.jpg