What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicago Organ?

V40

Guys, I am not normally here as you might be able to tell. Also, please forgive me for the question. Tried the search button here but it kept on giving me other inch projos.

I was watching the History Channel the other night and it showed a 360 around a WWII carrier. They had shown a row of 4-5 barrels all together in line with each other in parrallel to each other. They were called 1.1 inch guns (I believe) in which I believe it shot HE projos. Does any body out here have one of these projectiles who can take pictures of it and show me what it looks like? The weapon in itself looks like a nice piece.

Anything will help me out. Thanks guys!

Look on Tony Williams website for the 28 x 199SR round. The 1.1" was used but had problems. Too light a shell for planes it faced in the 40's, no self destoring tracer and some problems with reliability and slow fire. The Navy lads really cheered when they were replacrd with the 40mm Bofors.

Apparently most of the guns were cut up and thrown overboard into the Pacific along with the ammunition. There are some dummy rounds around but an inert HE service round is extremely rare to find.

One last question Gentlemen. How was this projectile fed into the weapon? Was it belt fed or clip fed, or some other way?

Thanks for the information!!!

One last question Gentlemen. How was this projectile fed into the weapon? Was it belt fed or clip fed, or some other way?

Thanks for the information!!!

They used rather odd square open "frames", each holding 10 rounds IIRC.

If you can get to see the WW2 documentary film, "Midway" (in colour, no less), this shows the 1.1 inch in action, banging away with (again, if memory serves) some sailors standing by with ammo frames.