What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas has come early !

paul the grenade

Hi All.
My latest addition and best grenade of the year arrived today.
Its a Japanese Type 11 Incendiary grenade dated 1938 on the fuze.
It could be hand thrown or fired fron the knee mortar.
Its almost completely made of brass. just the fuze cover and propeling charge on the base are steel. The body has a soldered on domed top and inside is another brass container which would have held the white phospherous. The base of the inner container has a small oval filling hole with a soldered lid. The tube up the middle of the inner container held the detonator and a booster in a waxed paper tube. Amazingly they are all present (AND INERT OF COURSE)
there is even a cardboard dome which was used as packing between the top of the inner container and the soldered on dome. The fuze is standard to most japanese grenades except the striker cover is quite short compared to the Type 91 and 97. The pull string is the only part ive had to make for it.
The fuze is well marked with the date and factory marks (Tokyo 1st army Arsenal) There are also some markings on the fuze delay tube, base of the outer brass body, propeling charge and the filling hole lid.
Anyone got anymore info on this grenade??
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Page13Type11incendiary.jpg
    Page13Type11incendiary.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Type 11 stripped.jpg
    Type 11 stripped.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Type 11 base markings.jpg
    Type 11 base markings.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Type 11 filling hole.jpg
    Type 11 filling hole.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Type 11 internal container.jpg
    Type 11 internal container.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 44
merry Christmas

Really nice grenade Paul. Nice bit of information you supplied also. Good living...Dano

Lovely item Paul, might have a sectioned drawing, will have a look and see, I'm sure some of our US friends will have some info too. Tony.

!

Did you get the Japanese chap who made it as well? I'm into their fuzes not grenades, but that really is a nice piece. A great addition.

ATB

BD

Paul

You continue to annoy the heck out of me with all those great finds of yours!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Note the jealousy!! Congratulations on a great find!!

Very nice Paul. I was gonna buy one from Sen, but ran out of $$$. Your's looks better than his dug ones. I'm still waiting for the Manchurian grenade. M.P.

Hi Paul. VERY nice. If you don't mind I'd appreciate it if you PM'd me the price (I can guess where it come from). Cheers Colin

Attachments

• 1 jap smoke.jpg
    1 jap smoke.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 35
That's a great find Paul - well done. All the Japanese grens I've seen have been very high quality items. This looks no exception.

John

Just noticed the inert detonator has an interesting stamp on the bottom in purple ink. Maybe it was for quality control?
Paul.

Attachments

• Japanese detonator ink stamp.jpg
    Japanese detonator ink stamp.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 23