What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Circa 1900 Souvenir "Pom Pom" projectiles.

Gspragge

Premium Member
Just a note on these. These were sold around the year 1900 as they were a "Hot"
souvenir of the period brought on by the Boer use of the Maxim 1pr. Two different
persons registered designs (sort of a copyright) to it would seem capture the market.
This is odd since neither invented the projectile and could hardly claim it. But they got away with it.
These projectiles were one would presume rejects or obsolete and surplus stock etc.
One type seen now and again is a very early and possible trial type with a large opening where the
fuze normally goes. The reason for the large opening is as yet unknown. These projectiles have a
large wide ribbed area as if it was made to trial different band types. In the souvenir version the
hole is partially filled with plaster to support a dummy brass press in cap just to make it look
complete. These are sometimes marked with a registration number. Some examples have a beautifully
painted inscription "Pom Pom" on them. This I have it is a modern (20 years old more or less) addition
and is not original. I have the same number on another early projectile marked M on the base that had a
candle stick attachment. These are Rg. No 357391.
The other type is either a whole projectile or a cutaway on a circular brass base Rg No 355754.
There are likely many other types out there, hand made and commercial like these.

A note of thanks is due to the kind BOCN member who actually went to the trouble of looking
up the actual existing Design Registry books which made this dissertation possible to begin with.

Attachments

• $_12-1.JPG
    $_12-1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 357391.jpg
    357391.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 64
  • $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 355754 Rg.No..jpg
    355754 Rg.No..jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 67
  • $_12-2.JPG
    $_12-2.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_236.JPG
    IMG_236.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I have seen another like it, I wonder if these were done as a Real souvenir in South Africa.
Interesting that on these the copper bands are off I guess copper had a value even then.
It is a British made projectile versus a Boer produced one.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI thought I would add a couple of pictures of what may be a German made souvenir table lighter. I bought this many years ago and it took me a long time to realise it was a souvenir and not an experimental projectile! It is made of very thin copper and the driving band moves upwards to lift the inner container. I guess this would have been filled with petrol and have a wick to light your cigars from! I doubt today's safety culture would approve. If any body could explain the base stampings it would be interesting.

Gesetzlich geschtzt means protected by law, so is equivalent to our use of Registered Design. 2872 is the design number, no doubt.

Tom.